Preamp for SM7B

Probably in that budget your pre isn't going to add much. If you get into a higher end pre then it might do something for the sound. But for that money I would probably spend less and just get something that will boost the sound cleanly without adding color. But in the budget range I think Joe Meek makes some good stuff, there are others - you should ask Moresound and Jimmy, they gots the answers... Myself I use a $180 TPS II tube amp for my SM7B.

Hmm... The ISA One has only 60db of gain. Not sure that would be my choice, though I have not played with one myself. I have no experience with the Eureka, so not going to be helpful there. I went straight to a VintechX73i, but that is way out of budget.

Moresound often suggests the GAP Pre73. It is around $350, and has 80db of gain. This is what you want for your SM7b. 1073 clones are probably your best bet for the mic.

Actually, I'm going to order one myself. I need a new toy anyway. :)

I have a variant of the GAP Pre73--an off, off brand with the same circuitry. It is without a doubt my go-to pre for my SM7b (other mics as well--I have 4 of them, so I can keep a few different mics patched into 'em).

"Only 60dB of gain."

How much horsepower does it take to get a decent level out of an SM7B?

If you look at the owners manual for the Focusrite it actually allows for an additional 20dB of gain by using the base gain range set at high (30-60dB) and adding additional gain through the trim.

I love my ISA one very clean sound and a killer DI for your bass all in one Never had a problem with adequate gain as stated before it has like 4 gain level stages plus a gain trim knob.

This is a super subjective topic, and extremely prone to an owners justification of their purchase. I'm sure the ISA One sounds really good. Hell I even was looking at it myself, its just that you have your own specific purpose, and perception of what something should sound like in the end. Imagine spending that hard earned $400 and being let down that your preamp doesn't sound the way you expected it for only a few dB difference. It's kind of like asking numerous artists "what is the best paint brush" for the painting your about to create. This is why fully knowing what you want, need, and expect it do in the end. Sure something may have more gain than another, but it may introduce more noise into your recording doing so. If you can't try out a preamp at a local music store, than at least try finding some good quality recordings people have posted online. This may sound ridiculous but I have been looking for so many different pieces of gear, and every time my mind changes due to finding a recording or demoing the gear at a store. It's not cheap to keep buying things that don't fully complement your real need, or introduce a new problem in the end.

I'm about to support that comment. One on it's way now...

So it's been a week - how does it compare to the Vintech :)

seriously though - hows it sound? I been using that TPSII cause it's the only one I got - I only need something for vocals

but IDK, probably if I just sang good the pre wouldn't be much of an issue :laughings:

Had a problem with a bank contest of a donation payment to my PayPal account, so I had insufficient funds to complete the purchase. Argh...

Next week, I'll get one. :)

Had a problem with a bank contest of a donation payment to my PayPal account, so I had insufficient funds to complete the purchase. Argh...

Next week, I'll get one. :)

Damn that sucks dude. Ok, I will check back on this thread next week! :)

Yep, and I want to try both of them. I'm sure others would like to hear basic comparison samples as to what each of them do.

Back