Preamp for digital recording

WEBCYAN

Heres the rundown.
Im using the J-Station to DI guitar and bass, recording drums in a pro studio, and doing vox with the Rode NT1.

so...

whats a good preamp for me?
I'll ONLY be using it on vocals, so I dont need anything that works for guitar or bass or anything else.
Also...Im recording everything into CEP, so I need somthing that works well with that. I dont like distortion and hiss :) and I want to keep the warm tubish sound of the NT1. I dont want airy metallic vocals.

any ideas?

I was looking at some vocal preamp by behringer but it got reallly bad reviews around the internet...so.
I also looked at theUSBPre 1.5. The problem with that is that its for vocals and everything else, and i simply need it for vocals. That and its $700! and I am willing to spend about $200 at most....

After getting some pretty clean preamps, which I thought I really wanted, I realized that the gritty sound of my ART Tube MP was really quite desirable for vocals. I'd definately recommend the ART Tube MP in your case, since you only need a single channel and will be using it only for vocals. It runs at about $90.

If you do get the ART, and it sounds really "metallic", try replacing the tube. I replaced the stock 12AX7 tube with a GT 12AX7 and it improved the sound greatly. BTW, all of these cheap tube preamps are not actual "tube preamps", they simply use a single starved tube to add a tube effect to the signal. Don't let that get your nuts in a knot though, how it sounds is what's important.

The ART Tube MP is also cool for Bass DI and various other things.

Slackmaster 2000

Funny How the Behringer is gettin bad reviews before it hits the streets. I wouldnt beleive those reviews. Its not a bad deal if you are looking for a pre with a digital out. for 150.00 Its really more of a channel strip. Im curiousof how it performs myself.

Yo WebCyan or Naycbew:

I think it is a BUYERS market for mic pre amps. I get the free Tape magazine and it is loaded with mic pres.

I have the ART dual channel in my studio and it works fine; however, I'm sure many mic pres work fine too.

I'd kind of shop around if I were you and try to get some "ears" evaluation before plunking down the $$$ dinero.

If you want to check out a pretty cool and expensive mic pre, dial up www.martinsound.com and preview their goodies.

Looking doesn't cost you can money but gives you comparisons for specs on mic pres.

Green Hornet
:D :D :p :p :p :cool:

Back