Preamp Decisions

scrouch

I'm in the market for a budget two channel preamp/strip to go along with a UA solo 610. Right now I'm considering a Joemeek twinQ (the newest version), a Focusrite Twintrak or a RNP/RNC combo. There is a lot of info out there on the RNP/RNC and a fair bit on the Twintrak but I haven't come across too many people who have compared the TwinQ preamp quality (not running through the transformer) to the other two. I'm planning for the two channel to run mainly mic'd accoustic guitar and I'm not super concerned that I'd need two RNCs to have independant compressor settings if I'm recording stereo. I'm also not very concerned about EQing or doing heavy compression before it's in the DAW.

I've gone through the reviews of the TwinQ I could find on the net but only found one good one on the new version comparing it to an Avalon (don't remember the model number). If anyone has any insight into how the non-transformer preamp setting compares with the Twintrak or RNP or if there are any other suggestions in this price range (up to about $1000 USD for a two channel) that would be great. Thanks.

It will eat up four rack units but how about the ART Digital MPA (or just the plain MPA) + the ART PRO VLA, plenty of people here and on gearslutz like both for what they do.

I only have the PRO VLA so I will only comment directly on it, its got this nice cream to it, its very close to what my UAD-1's LA-2A sounds like. For vocals I use fast attack and auto release, and go for about -3dB to -6dB for gain reduction, it sits nicely in that range. RNC from what people have said is more transparent so if you are looking for transparent the RNC might be better, as the PRO VLA changes the sound, for the better IMHO, with this nice layer, not to thick mind you, but nice layer of creamy frosting.

I have heard that the TwinQ and the ATC2 have the same preamps but the EQ and compressor sections are diferent. I would email PMI to find out more.

I'm not sure about the twinQ but the bottom of the line 3Q is pretty impressive. Definately doesn't sound like a cheap preamp and I imagine the twin sounds even better.

Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at the ART models as well. I've heard the same thing about the Toft/TwinQ, that the preamp is the same but the rest of the strip is different. I was taking a look at the TwinQ over the ATC2 because I've heard you can change the signal path in the TwinQ depending on if you want to use the transformer or not but haven't heard the same thing about the ATC2 (I also haven't heard that you can't do it). How is the compressor on the ATC2?

Back