Preamp/Card choices?

michael_lifshit

So, I just bought an sm57, and want to know, what kind of cables I will need, I suppose an xlr cable, but do these come in 1/4inch outs? or is it xlr in and out? And if so, then how do I attach it to my computer?

Just to give you all the information, I am going to be recording some simple instruments and stuff for some songs I am making just to fool around with making music, nothing too professional. Currently I have inboard sound but it has the regular 3 holes, plus an extra 2, so I think this might mean I have 3 inputs? Either way, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a new card if it is really nessecary. Could I just get an xlr to 1/4inch and then adapt it to 1/8" and stick it into my mic in?

What exactly do I need? An inboard card? Outboard? I want something very very cheap if possible, like as cheap as possible. I dont want to spend very much, as it doesn't have to be anything amazing.

Help me out please!

Hey michael - your 57 is a dynamic mic which doesn't need phantom power, so theoretically you could plug it into the 'mic' input on your sound card via various adapters (this is the input that will have a pre amp) however onboard soundcards are always of far lesser quality so you will not be getting a very good sound. If you upgrade your card, the thing to remember is that you need a) a pre amp and b) the interface itself. Sometimes these are combined (like the M-Box) and sometimes a card (like the Audiophile 2496) need an external pre amp. You can buy a stand-alone pre amp, or if you need multiple sources at once, a mixer that has built-in pre's.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Dr Biscuits said:
Hey michael - your 57 is a dynamic mic which doesn't need phantom power, so theoretically you could plug it into the 'mic' input on your sound card via various adapters (this is the input that will have a pre amp) however onboard soundcards are always of far lesser quality so you will not be getting a very good sound. If you upgrade your card, the thing to remember is that you need a) a pre amp and b) the interface itself. Sometimes these are combined (like the M-Box) and sometimes a card (like the Audiophile 2496) need an external pre amp. You can buy a stand-alone pre amp, or if you need multiple sources at once, a mixer that has built-in pre's.
Hope this helps, good luck!

That pretty much covers it, what exactly are you wanting to record, instrument wise? Money is definatly going to leave your pocket, but don't settle for the cheapest thing you find, don't be affraid to spend a little more for something good. I'm not talking $1000.00 preamps or anything, but you'll thank me later. If you buy the cheap stuff now, no matter how Hobbyist you are, you'll end up wanting something a little better down the road. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard and an M-Audio Audio Buddy or DMP3 preamp would be a great start imo.

Instrument wise I will be recording mainly amped guitars, acoustic guitars, small hand precussion, voice, random ambient things like rain or whatever, stuff like that. Maybe a drum kit at some point, but that would just be me micing the drums with one mic haha. But yeah ok. So suggestions for a soundcard and preamp built into one would be nice.

Thanks for the help.

Is going the soundcard and pre the bets way? I dont need anything amazingg, I want to spend like very very little money if possible. Like if possible I want to spend under 100. What is the best way to do that?

And I dont really need more than one in.

Back