Preamp as an insert?

KevinAltenburg

Hi, I have a couple of preamps that I use almost all the time. One for overheads, a couple for vocals, one for a kick tom and the like. I'm thinking if I leave them hooked up as inserts on the mixer, I won't have to reach in back of my rack to plug instruments and mics in so often. Is this one too many shortcuts? Will the pre on the board have adverse effects on the outboard pre? I'm thinking probably not but maybe I am violating some etiquette somewhere.
Thanks in advance,
K

'back of my rack I take it is the back of the mixer? And if you're not using the mixer's preamp, you could use the insert point to inject the line level out of your external pre into the mixer- just need to work out the jack so that it kills the mixer pre's send signal. Tip/ring arrangement could depend on the mixer.
No line level in's on the mixer?
.. Or, why go through the mixer? I split my pre's, one goes to mixer for phones/monitor, one goes direct the the A/D.

Where does the mixer go, and where would/do the preamps go? Do you have converters or something?

Need a bit more info but it sounds like I'd just set up a patch bay with the rears going straight to the line level destination.
That way you can conveniently patch in your preamps or your mixer.
I wouldn't run one through the other.

Back