Preamp A vs Preamp B

• I liked preamp A best.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I liked preamp B best.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I couldn't tell the difference.

Votes: 33 27.0%

• Total voters
Already said my preference. But you know, I'd guess pre B is probably the more expensive pre of the two. It's got a more clear mid and upper range. Never the less I still like pre A better on this gtr, as it tames its high end a little.

scrubs said:
Now you're just being mean. No poll outside of the cave gets more than 20 votes.

It won't mean much without a decent number of votes.

I think tests like this are important cos a lot of shit is spouted on recording forums.

From some of the things you can read around here you would expect a much bigger difference between preamps than is test so far indicating.

It takes a decent monitoring system, and careful listening to spot the differences between these tracks but many people listen to music on pc speakers and headphones. So is it fruitful to spend time obsessing over preamps when your average punter won't know the difference.

Chessrock recently did a test where he tested converters and it was similarly valuable. I gained more from that one thread than I did from anything else I'd read about them.

I prefer B slightly ... it seems a bit drier and cleaner, and with better microdynamics. Preamp A sounded dark and nice but with a bit of glassy coating that I didn't care for. Preamp A does sound potentially expensive, based on the relative "fatness". My brain had an easier time focusing on B.

I'd bet a burrito that B is an op-amp design with no transformers. Or, that they are the same preamp, but with different cables.

are there any general ranges for that price? Is it like a $100 pre and a $205 pre? Or a $600 pre and a $1400 pre? Or a $809,320 pre and a $17,943,334 pre (probably something like those tube behris? Wowee)?

I cant listen at work, but when i get home to some monitors i'll check it out.

Preamp B's got a slightly more pronounced upper midrange to my ears, and A's got more lower mids. They both have their strengths but I'd say preamp B's more expensive. I could be way off though haha

Barn Owl said:
I'm not telling :p You'll find out when if we get 100 votes.

I think these members need to vote.

myhattbroke
myhatttbroke
myhattttbroke
myhatttttbroke
myhatttttbroke
myhattttttbroke
myhatttttttbroke
myhattttttttbroke
myhatttttttttbroke
myhattttttttttbroke
myhatttttttttttbroke
myhattttttttttttbroke
myhatttttttttttttbroke
myhattttttttttttttbroke
myhatttttttttttttttbroke

I think 100 is kind of unrealistic.

I am going to take another listen but I already voted they are the same.

We've got 68,408 members. 100 votes isn't that many.

Maybe people are too scared to speak in case they pick the cheap one ha ha!

If you want to know the answer pm your buddies and ask them to vote.

you've only got 66 posts so you don't realise it yet but........
your not going to get 100 votes.

Barn Owl said:
We've got 68,408 members. 100 votes isn't that many.

Maybe people are too scared to speak in case they pick the cheap one ha ha!

1. I'd say there are fewer than 500 members who actually are actively posting. 450 of those post only in the Dragon Cave.

2. 100 votes would presume that 100 people actually cared enough to download your clips and listen. Getting 100 people to care about anything, much less preamp comparisons, is a stretch.

3. Get over yourself and post the answer.

You're not going to get 100 votes, after 3 days you don't even have 30. What would Freud say about your withholding? Your momma didn't give you what you wanted when you were younger ;) ;) ?

Barn Owl said:

OK, here is the answer: analyze the last second of both mp3s (yes the very end, after the fadeout), and realize that this is an invalid test.

scrubs said:
I'd say there are fewer than 500 members who actually are actively posting. 450 of those post only in the Dragon Cave.

scrubs said:
No poll outside of the cave gets more than 20 votes.

I'd say you like to pull numbers out of thin air.

mshilarious said:
OK, here is the answer: analyze the last second of both mp3s (yes the very end, after the fadeout), and realize that this is an invalid test.

That's more of a hint about what the answer might be rather than the answer... to me anyway.

Back