pre-roll post roll

bdemenil

How do you setup cubase to preroll in the way that protools does - ie, on a punch to actually begin recording before you press record - so that you can stretch the sound file back if you hit record a bit late

I don't remember off hand where exactly it is, but there is an option that you can use to set how much time in advance of hitting record that Cubase stores. I have mine set to 3 seconds. This way if you are a little late, or just wish you had started a little earlier you can still have that stuff:)

In SX3, go to your punch-in time, hold the "alt" key while clicking on the "L" on the transport bar.... go to punch-out time, hold "alt" and clcik the "R" on the transport bar. now, click the little weird line thingy below the "L" and "R" so they light up... then record-enable your track, then rewind to your desired playback start position, press play, but not record .... it will punch in and out automatically... it's pretty sweet.

With some shortcut keys, setting punch in and punch out positions is much quicker then described above. All you have to do is set a left and a right locator. I have my shortcuts set up so that "i" is punch in activate, and "o" is punch out activate.

As far as prerecord goes, under the preferences menu select record. 6 lines down is an option called "retrospect record". Check that. The last line on the page is to enter how many seconds you want to prerecord.

Back