Pre-PreAmp jitters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Boy

So I guess I'm just about ready to put down cash on a pre. I think I've decided, it's looking like a lunchbox with either an API 512c or a BAE 312a. Kind of scary though eh? I record a lot of acoustic music, but some rock as well and both of these seem to be able to achieve those goals admirably.

And I guess since all I've had thus far is a VTB1 and an AudioBuddy I should be excited as opposed to scared... but ya know :p

My mike collection consists of a bunch of shure dynamics, a Peluso 2247 and a couple of Oktava MK012's. I'm thinking I will need some better SDC's before too long as well. But probably better to see if how they sound through better pre's first - eh?

Are you planning on buying more than 2? If not, I have a BAE 312a in a rack with a power supply that will power an additional preamp for later, for sale. Hit me up if interested.
With the Peluso and I'm assuming you have an SM7 there, you'll get good results on most everything with a good preamp. Next thing you'll want is a rack of Distressors. And so on. It never ends. Sometimes I feel crazy over it.

Rocket Boy said:
So I guess I'm just about ready to put down cash on a pre. I think I've decided, it's looking like a lunchbox with either an API 512c or a BAE 312a. Kind of scary though eh? I record a lot of acoustic music, but some rock as well and both of these seem to be able to achieve those goals admirably.

And I guess since all I've had thus far is a VTB1 and an AudioBuddy I should be excited as opposed to scared... but ya know :p

My mike collection consists of a bunch of shure dynamics, a Peluso 2247 and a couple of Oktava MK012's. I'm thinking I will need some better SDC's before too long as well. But probably better to see if how they sound through better pre's first - eh?

Just curious, why aren't you also considering the pres from OSA, Seventh Circle, and the new ones from A-Designs?

I kind of want to do a lunchbox for the very reason that I can add something like an A-Designs later. I've considered all of those and have just decided to *start* with the ones I mentioned.

I've not used the BAE's although I've heard nice things about them. I have a couple 512cs, an A-Designs P-1 and a Purple Audio Biz for lunch box pres. Personally, given the choice, I'd go with two P-1s as all around first pres. I like their forwardness a bit better than the 512cs and they are a little softer. At this level, differences are subtle tho. I will probably buy another so I can do 2 tracks with them. The 512cs are really great pres and also very all around useful. While the Biz is very nice (traded an A-Designs Red pre for it), it is more of a special use pre IMHO (electric guitars or bass). At this level you pretty much can't go wrong and resale is pretty good as well - especially if you buy used. There are certainly lots of 512cs available out there at good prices -- they should be cheaper than P-1s. I think I paid $575 each for mine used and they were in pristine condition. Check the Gearslutz used gear forum. They come up every now and then for reasonable $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back