Pre Amps With Ribbon Mic

Blue Bear Sound said:
...unless they're designed to tolerate it, such as the Beyer M160.....

I'm a big fan of this mic. I've heard that Glyn Johns used it for overheads on John Bonham's drum kit.

The Royers are designed for large SPL's as well. At least they better be. I stick mine right up in some pretty loud guitar cabs:)

masteringhouse said:
I'm a big fan of this mic. I've heard that Glyn Johns used it for overheads on John Bonham's drum kit.

For those interested I found this, on another in board I heard that they were used as overheads as well (correction: Andy, might have been Glyn as well):

Great, great, great article it Tape op magazine #39 Jan/Feb 2004 on Andy Johns. The drums for Levee were recorded in the front hallway of Headley Grange, using 2 Beyer M160 mics on the staircase going up to the landings and upper floors(it was kinda like the entrance to a fancy hotel). Andy then compressed those(Helios compressors in the soundboard) and also used a Binson Echorec(echo unit) that Page owned. Brought that up in the compressor, too. So those mics were placed on stairs, distant from Bonzo's kit on the floor of the hallway. Just 2 mics. Again, Johns was marveled by how Bonzo tuned his drums, and he was trying to capture what he was hearing as he stood next to the kit in the room...so they moved the drums to the hallway, instead of where the had them in the main living room, where they tracked tunes like Rock and Roll, and tried distant mic'ing.

xstatic said:
The Royers are designed for large SPL's as well. At least they better be. I stick mine right up in some pretty loud guitar cabs:)

I think its more or less loud transients you have to worry about ruining the ribbon.

Back