pre amp

eskkes

hi,

I am planning on buying a pre amp for recording with my computer.
I want the pre amp to have 5 mic inputs on it but I don't know much about them.

does anyone have any suggestions on good pre amps?

i would spend around €500,
but if you reccomend one to me I could see if I could buy one cheap second hand.
thanks

hi,
I looked at that preamp. I'm new to all of this recording thing so I am wondering:
I see on the rear picture of the preamp that I can plug 8 mics separately into it but can I then still plug the 8 separate mics into the phase 88? I want to be able to mix the sound of the bass drum, snare, etc separately on the computer.

eskkes said:
hi,
I looked at that preamp. I'm new to all of this recording thing so I am wondering:
I see on the rear picture of the preamp that I can plug 8 mics separately into it but can I then still plug the 8 separate mics into the phase 88? I want to be able to mix the sound of the bass drum, snare, etc separately on the computer.

Okay, you've lost me - what is a "phase 88"?

This first one is your best bet to me.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Firepod/

This one requires you to install a card with a ADAT Lightpipe on it in the PC.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigimaxLT/

This one is a lot more expensive - but I don't know the conversion rate for a pound. :)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiMax96/

Tim

The phase 88 is an 8 i/o card from terratec. To answer your question: yes you can. You connect up to 8 mics to the preamps, and then connect the outs of the preamps (each channel has an individual output) to the inputs of your soundcard.

hi halion thanks for the help!
I got two pictures of the pre amp off the net, one of the rear and one of the front.
However I can't see any outputs on it, I can only see the mic inputs.
I read on the companys website that there is an analogue output and it mentions that there is a 25-pin D-type 8 channel analogue connector. I suppose I would have to buy this connector separately and that it isn't included in the pics of the preamp!?

eskkes said:
hi halion thanks for the help!
I got two pictures of the pre amp off the net, one of the rear and one of the front.
However I can't see any outputs on it, I can only see the mic inputs.
I read on the companys website that there is an analogue output and it mentions that there is a 25-pin D-type 8 channel analogue connector. I suppose I would have to buy this connector separately and that it isn't included in the pics of the preamp!?

It reports to have separate analog outs, yes. It probably comes with a breakout cable for the 25-pin connector. Otherwise, I can't imagine how anyone could actually use this thing....

That said, the M-Audio Octane costs $200 less, has built-in ADAT light pipe (an extra $200 option on this one), but still has analog outs that will work with your existing sound card. Unless you really need eight outboard compressors, look into the Octane.

Back