pre-amp with 2 channels

dekodesigner

Am i right in beleiving the FocusRite VoicerMaster Pro with A/D card is a single channeled pre?

I have a tascam us-144 with 2 channels for both of my mics which I need to record at the same time.

Would i simply rund the focusrite through the tascam or would this not give me the quality of the focusrite? i.e i would just be using the tascam...

Can anybody point me in the direction of a mic pre-amp with the same spec as the voicemaster pro that runs 2 channels?

I would be ok to run the tascam as an interface for my KRK rp6's, and run the focusrite though it also right? Or would i be better off using a soundcard for this setup and ditching the tascam to pay for one?

Yes, the voicemaster is a single channel but it does have a DI for recording guitars as well.

I would probably not use the Tascam in the chain but go directly into your soundcard when using the VM Pro.

Here are some things for you to explore:

The best 2 channel deal I can think of, if you have the money, is to get a used Portico 5012 on ebay. I've seen them sell for $1000 and this is probably the best sound you can buy for under $1695 new. I have these and they are very versatile for recording a variety of sources. The only thing I would not use them on would be a snappy snare drum. API preamps are a better application.

Other options would be 2 RNPs. I am not a fan of these myself, they would get the job done however, and can produce some very nice tracks.

The best alternative however, if you or a friend are handy with a soldering iron, is the two channels of the Seventh Circle preamps. $800-$900 with the power chassis, you build it from scratch and it rivals about anything you could buy built under $1600.

You did not mention a budget so I assumed you are ready to pay more for two vs. one channel.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a mic pre-amp with the same spec as the voicemaster pro that runs 2 channels?
*Two* channels of mediocre sounding preamps with unimpressive dynamics and EQ circuitry?

Bunches of them.

Or you can get the RNP and be pretty happy with two rather nice sounding preamps.

The Portico wouldn't be a bad move either. If you really need all-in-one channel strips, the Toft stuff is some of the better-sounding budget-friendly stuff IMO/E.

well, i am a vocalist, who works with another vocalist, so 2 mic chanells is a must.

is the Portico 5012 fitting my bill over the voicemaster?

PS: if i have to ditch the tascam, what soundcard is a must for this setup?

Would i still not need the tascam for my KRK rp5's?

soundcard - Portico 5012 - 2 rode nt1

tascam - krk rp6's

I also have some wharfdale speakers that I would like to add to the setup so i can listen to the sound from a set of speakers, as well as the monitors.

please help????

thanks, Dekodesigner.

also, this portico 5012 is £1,000 in the UK - is there anything that is simillar for less? - also, if i have to sacrifice the duo mic pre-amp and just record 2 emcees seperately, I am willing to do.

what pre-amp would you guys recommend for a nice sounding vocal from a rapper?

I am raring to go but I do not know which pre to go for :-/

The tascam is a "sound card". Sure, you'd be better off running from your pre into better line buffers and A/D, but unless you want to pay a lot more, you're only going to find something different, not necessarily something better.

Just run from your pre into the line in(s) on your US-144 and have at it until it holds you back.

better line buffers than A/D - what is the alternative?

Also, does the tascam have enough line ins and outs to actually run some speakers, monitors and a pre-amp?

If you really need all-in-one channel strips, the Toft stuff is some of the better-sounding budget-friendly stuff IMO/E.

Massive, I've been curious about these Toft strips and trying to read user reviews of them. So far I'm not sure what to think as there are alot of conflicting arguments over the sound in these reviews.

One reviewer says the preamp sounds like crap and the next says it's great. :confused: Then it's written that the compressor is very clean and the next says it's highly colored.:confused: What is the real deal? Can you shed some light on these products? :)

Thanks!

I'd almost call the whole thing "right down the middle." The ATC2 for example --- The preamps are nice - For $1,000. The compression circuit is nice - for $1,000. The EQ circuit is exceptional for $1,000...

I think the "conflicting reports" are because the reviews are coming from more experienced engineers...

At the risk of sounding "gear-snobbish" -- The average review on any piece of Berry gear is all 9's and higher - because most of the users wouldn't know the difference (and you can bet 95% have never even heard of Malcom Toft). When you see mixed reviews on a piece of lower-to-mid-priced yet budget-friendly gear, you can figure that a lot of people liked it and it's probably the best piece they own while a lot of people were unimpressed because it's (poop) compared to what they normally use. Or in the case of Toft, I think a lot of people were expecting something truly unique and wonderful - but wound up with something nice, but somewhat unremarkable.

Focustire's cheapie stuff for example... I hear people going on and on about how wonderful it is. Personally, I can't even imagine why they'd put their (formerly) good name on that stuff. "Unremarkable" is almost an understatement. Put the Toft preamps up against a "Platinum" preamp and you're going to think that Malcom Toft is some sort of God. Put it up against a Crane Song Flamingo, and you'll be unimpressed again. But I digress (as I do so often).

Back to the ATC... It's a nice unit. Lots of bang for not a lot of bucks. A BIG step up from a lot of the stuff littering a lot of the superstores. Definitely capable of delivering (assuming the core sound is deliverable), but there are better pieces out there.

The reason I bought one? I need portable preamps occasionally (and EQ's and a set of compressors, etc.). I still do a decent amount of live tracking and orchestral recording and some of the preamps I'd otherwise be "forced into" are junk. I wanted to get something that did everything pretty well without blowing more than about $1k. I tried pretty much everything else and there wasn't a lot of "worthy competition" in that price range. My ATC2 is sitting in a portable SKB case with my Masterlink at a performing arts facility right down the street (where I'll be tracking a set of orchestras over the next few weeks).

Realistically, I'd have done better with a pair of P-Solo's. Less features, better preamps. But I have access to better stuff anyway. The Toft is more or less an "emergency backup" unit if I walk in somewhere and find a 1602 or something (or worse). HOWEVER - It's a *usable* emergency backup. It's not one of those pieces you plug in and feel immediately like you're compromising (cough - cough - PentaPlatinumArtBerrySonus). You're getting a quality recording with a quality-sounding piece.

Last edited:
I'd almost call the whole thing "right down the middle." The ATC2 for example --- The preamps are nice - For $1,000. The compression circuit is nice - for $1,000. The EQ circuit is exceptional for $1,000...

This is the one area EVERYBODY seemed to agree on - pretty nice EQ.

I think the "conflicting reports" are because the reviews are coming from more experienced engineers...

At the risk of sounding "gear-snobbish" -- The average review on any piece of Berry gear is all 9's and higher - because most of the users wouldn't know the difference (and you can bet 95% have never even heard of Malcom Toft). When you see mixed reviews on a piece of lower-to-mid-priced yet budget-friendly gear, you can figure that a lot of people liked it and it's probably the best piece they own while a lot of people were unimpressed because it's (poop) compared to what they normally use. Or in the case of Toft, I think a lot of people were expecting something truly unique and wonderful - but wound up with something nice, but somewhat unremarkable.
Well that explains the mystery for me. Basically mixed reviews because each reviewer has their own perspective and expectations. On one forum the folks were arguing over the performance of the preamp. I guess a Joe's VS Pros type deal in the cross section of posters.

Focustire's cheapie stuff for example... I hear people going on and on about how wonderful it is. Personally, I can't even imagine why they'd put their (formerly) good name on that stuff. "Unremarkable" is almost an understatement. Put the Toft preamps up against a "Platinum" preamp and you're going to think that Malcom Toft is some sort of God. Put it up against a Crane Song Flamingo, and you'll be unimpressed again. But I digress (as I do so often).

I have not tried any budget level Focurite stuff. Everytime I see it in the store I am always highly turned off by the rather cheap built quality. Compared to other gear in the racks at the store Focusrite stuff looks almost toyish. TC Electronic stuff also has that going on. I bought a G-Major sight unseen and am appalled it ever made it past QC - assuming they have one...

Back to the ATC... It's a nice unit. Lots of bang for not a lot of bucks. A BIG step up from a lot of the stuff littering a lot of the superstores. Definitely capable of delivering (assuming the core sound is deliverable), but there are better pieces out there.

The reason I bought one? I need portable preamps occasionally (and EQ's and a set of compressors, etc.). I still do a decent amount of live tracking and orchestral recording and some of the preamps I'd otherwise be "forced into" are junk. I wanted to get something that did everything pretty well without blowing more than about $1k. I tried pretty much everything else and there wasn't a lot of "worthy competition" in that price range. My ATC2 is sitting in a portable SKB case with my Masterlink at a performing arts facility right down the street (where I'll be tracking a set of orchestras over the next few weeks).

Realistically, I'd have done better with a pair of P-Solo's. Less features, better preamps. But I have access to better stuff anyway. The Toft is more or less an "emergency backup" unit if I walk in somewhere and find a 1602 or something (or worse). HOWEVER - It's a *usable* emergency backup. It's not one of those pieces you plug in and feel immediately like you're compromising (cough - cough - PentaPlatinumArtBerrySonus). You're getting a quality recording with a quality-sounding piece.

The ATC2 is an attractive package and feature-set for the dough. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me about a brand I am unfamiliar with and quite curious about! :)

This is the one area EVERYBODY seemed to agree on - pretty nice EQ.

Well that explains the mystery for me. Basically mixed reviews because each reviewer has their own perspective and expectations. On one forum the folks were arguing over the performance of the preamp. I guess a Joe's VS Pros type deal in the cross section of posters.
With this piece, it goes even deeper... Malcom was behind all the cool Trident stuff back when the earth was cooling. Some people were nuts about it (as some people are nuts about SSL or Neve) and some people don't care for it (as some people don't care for SSL or Neve). But yeah, the EQ really is pretty schveet...
I have not tried any budget level Focurite stuff. Everytime I see it in the store I am always highly turned off by the rather cheap built quality. Compared to other gear in the racks at the store Focusrite stuff looks almost toyish.
Compared to Focusrite's "regular" stuff it looks toyish. You're not missing much...
The ATC2 is an attractive package and feature-set for the dough. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me about a brand I am unfamiliar with and quite curious about! :)
It really is a decent piece. A lot on the "wish list" -- Calibrated knobs, more solid detents on the centers (I'm a bit spoiled on some things), but that would've driven the thing into a much higher price point. He put the components first and I give him credit for that.

With this piece, it goes even deeper... Malcom was behind all the cool Trident stuff back when the earth was cooling. Some people were nuts about it (as some people are nuts about SSL or Neve) and some people don't care for it (as some people don't care for SSL or Neve). But yeah, the EQ really is pretty schveet...

Compared to Focusrite's "regular" stuff it looks toyish. You're not missing much...

It really is a decent piece. A lot on the "wish list" -- Calibrated knobs, more solid detents on the centers (I'm a bit spoiled on some things), but that would've driven the thing into a much higher price point. He put the components first and I give him credit for that.

Yeah, I *half knew* the name Toft and had some inkling they were old school but I'll have to give myself a history lesson on google. Malcom is on the right track with this line of gear IMHO.

Without being too imposing I hoped maybe you can help put to rest one item I still have a question about... :D

The compressor on ATC - is it colored, clean or both depending on the usage?

Thanks again Massive!

For the benefit of the Op here's the item in question:
http://www.frontendaudio.com/Toft_ATC_2_Dual_Channel_Mic_Preamp_Compressor_p/2054.htm

Sorry about hijacking the thread :o

@ S: It's not the most transparent thing, but it's not unpleasant to work with from what I can tell -- When it comes down to it, I've "tested" the compressor, but I don't recall using it in "real-world" applications... I never compress on the way in unless I'm looking for something very specific. And then, it's either the Vari-Mu or the SSL or something... Never for dynamics control (I'd rather just turn the pre-gain down).

@ D: The P-Solo is just one of those preamps... You can put it up against pretty much anything - at pretty much any price - and it's going to hold its own.

right, but wouldn't it be pointless running the Rode NT1 through something like this?

a good friend is steering me into firewire, is there anything like the m-audio promix

which has 8 channel and line inputs, is a soundcard, and is a preamp on each port, with just half the inputs?

I need a pre-amp this week as the studio is empty other than the mic, the tascam and the krk's. I really need good vocals over anything, so should i go with the P-Solo or the VoiceMaster Pro with A/D card?

The VMP, IMO, is a POS. YMMV.

Bang-for-the-buck in an FireWire interface with preamps? MOTU's Traveler. Again, nothing extraordinary or up to par with the P-Solo or Grace 101, but pretty good, and remarkably cheap. Plenty of I/O, 4 preamps, extensive cue mixing capabilities.
right, but wouldn't it be pointless running the Rode NT1 through something like this?
A mic, ANY mic, is only as good as the preamp driving it. A 57 through a good preamp is a good thing. A U87 through a crappy preamp is worth a bowl of warm sinus fluid.

so the question is.

Rode nt1 with P-Solo - or Rode nt1 with the VoiceMaster Pro.

or...... would anybody suggest anything that they have heard that outclasses this setup in the same price range, give or take a couple of hundred £/$?

James.

Back