pre-amp selection

nascentjunkie

ok, well i have seen and heard of a fair amount of crappy and extremely good pre-amps, is there anything out there that will give me great sound and isn't gonna run up my budget like mad? (i know the more you spend the better it is and all...) I would say i am willing to go with like 300 bucks max... Its a home studio not, pro, and i would mainly use it for vocals and acoustic/electric guitars and things of that nature. I would also prefer it is fairly basic, well.. if it had a phase switch and other stuff that would be nice, but as long as it sounds good, that is the main thing. Even if it only has gain but sounds great, then thats fine. Thanks to all who reply!

The RNC/RNP, the Studio Projects VTB1, or the M-Audio DMP3 are all in your range and each has its strong adherents.

Wait a few years when the grade of all equipment in general improves and things like the RNP are old hat, then you'll probably be able to pick one up for that amount (unless you're on ebay, then you'll contend with moron's who will continue to sell it for retail price because they are convinced it's vintage)

The DMP3 is pretty much a no-brainer in that price backet. I'd also recommend the Rane MS1B or a used Symetrix 201 or 528 if you can find one on ebay reasonably-priced. Very no-frills designs (with the exception of the 528, that is) that just provide gain to a mic and sound good and clean doing it.

chess - a little secret

if you ever have the time get a st ives or lundahl xformer feeding the output of a gain of ten transistor stage thats low noise.
just as a little diy project. i think youll like the result.
very very clean sound.

Back