pre amp for m-box??

candelamusic

i going to be recording vocals into pro tools(mbox mini) using a AkG perception 220 condenser. im not exactly sure what the pre amps do, can someone please tell me. do i need it for this purpose? would there be a difference if i dont use a preamp? thanks

The preamp is basically the XLR jack you plug a mic into. It boosts the mic signal to a stronger line level signal. You mbox mini has 1 mic preamp on it, the mbox pre's sound pretty good, you could certainly do a lot worse..

As it stands now, you can plug one mic into your mbox. If you were to buy a separate preamp, you could one or both line-in jacks on your mbox. If you are looking for a nice mic pre, I'd recommend the M-Audio DMP3, it's 2 channels and has a TON of clean gain. Prolly the best bang-for-the-buck mic pre out there.

i just search for the M-Audio DMP3 it got some good reviews and the price aint bad at all. so what you said is that i could use both the m-box and the preamp at the same time? would it get a better sound by doing that? thanks a lot for your help

Yeah, you'd plug the line-outs of the preamp into the line-ins on the Mbox. But you can't use the mic input on your mbox then, so if you thought you could get 3 channels, that's not gonna happen. IDK if the DMP3 has better pre's than the mbox, they're probably comparable. But the mbox only have ONE pre, and the dmp3 has 2. You'd need some kind of outboard preamp for your mbox's 2nd channel anyway. You'd have the option of using the one mbox pre and one dmp3 pre, or using both dmp3 pre's. They could very well sound slightly different, and you could use that to your advantage if you know you want to use the brighter pre or whatever.

Back