Pre-amp advice

the blues daddy

Hello there,

My set up:

Cubase VST 24

Omni I/O Studio

Delta 66 Sound Card

American Fender Strat

I am planing on a buying a pre- amp with next months pay check.

Any one got any suggetions?

Any comments are greatly apprieciated.

cheap...dmp3, ranems1b,symmetrix
expensive....great river,hardy,and many others.
search under my name for lots of posts on preamps and other recording
tips posted in past year including how to make your own preamps for 20 bucks.
peace.

In case you weren't aware Manning, searching in these forums is currently disabled.

Blues Daddy: I've used the DMP3 and Studio Projects VTB-1 pre-amps. Both are nice, budget, pre-amps. I like the DMP3 a little better - soundwise and the fact is has two channels. The VTB-1 has a nice sound though as well - only one channel, and an interesting tube feature. Both of these pre-amps have had some good talk in here as well as the Rane the Manning mentioned.

Higher-end stuff, can't help ya much there! :(

DMP3 or the M Audio Buddy

Thanks for that guys...

The DMP3 is looking like the purchase.

However, I have checked on google (zZounds.com) and seen an even cheaper preamp - the M Audio Buddy ($79.95). The DMP3 being $159.95.

Bearing in mind I am new to the home recording game...

Is the M Audio Buddy a stripped down version of the DMP3 i.e. with less tricks but princibally as good a quality sound?

or

Is the actual sound of the M Audio Buddy not as good a quality as the DMP3?

I can do with out the 'tricks' for the moment however a good quality sound is essential.

Thanks alot

I would say the DMP3 is better than the Audio Buddy. I've read here about people using the Audio Buddy, and they generally seemed happy, but the DMP3 by far takes the cake around here.

The DMP3 doesn't really have an tricks up it's sleeves, it's just a nice sounding, two channel, budget pre.

Back