Practice

Clive Hugh

Just had a killer practice with my band, I'm now winding down, waste of time going to bed as the beats still pounding away. We lost our other guitar player last week, we're not going to bother replacing him, really tight sound with guitar, bass, drums.

yeah. we went from a 6-piece to a 5 piece recently. we've only improved since that. easier to practise, everyone has more to do, and it sounds tighter. we won't lose anyone else though. a 5-piece works the best for the kind of music we're playing.

it's a bit unnerving when you lose someone from a band - makes you wonder if they added a lot more than you thought, but i'm glad you're happy :)

Andy.

A three piece band is tighter than 4 piece IMHO. You really gotta play well since mistakes are more easily heard and can't be covered up as easily with a second guitar. A second guitar really does helps fill up the sound. I've played in a 3 piece for about 4 years now, we've had several other guitarist work with us for several months at a time but they never did really work out. My second band is 4 piece but the singer doesn't play guitar well enough to help out. The music is 3 piece, drums, guitar and bass and tons of fun.

The guy who left was doing a fine job, he has left town, I really notice it right now when I do a solo but am going to change to a more chord oriented break. I guess when I have that really nailed someone else will turn up.

I've always preferred playing in a 3 piece. Yeah it's more work and puts some limits on what you can do but it makes learning new songs a lot easier. A second guitar makes the breaks a little easier but if you have a bass player who is willing to cover a little more it's not too bad. For recording it's never been a problem for me, our bass player and myself both play rythm and keyboard so we just add whatever is needed. For live we just accept our limitations and play the best we can, most of the time it works.

Back