Powering off equipment

richpjr

I just picked up a FireStudio Mobile and have it hooked up to my Mac. The problem is, with no power switch on it and the fact that it can be powered from the firewire cable, it's on as long as my computer is on. I use my computer for a lot more than dabbling with music so I either have to leave it powered on all the time my computer is on, or unplug and plug it back in each time I use it. I play guitar and have my amp and pedals on a separate power strip, so I have no issues with that, but that got me wondering what you all do.

Take a firewire cable, cut it in half, strip back the wires, solder everything together except the DC wire, solder a switch into the DC wire, tape it up, wrap it with copper shielding tape (making sure that it makes solid contact with the cable shield), tape that up, and you're done. :D

No, I'm not being serious. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. :)

For years I left all my gear on - everything. I'd heard that the "big studios" did it and that was why their gear never broke - that stuff almost always blew when you turned it on.

Then a couple of years ago my TC Electronics Finalizer blew and I phoned them and they said it was because I left it on all the time.

That, combined with trying to get my electric bill lower, has got me turning stuff off. What I don't like is that when it cools down it condenses water inside and that's what eventually gives you rust. When it's always on it's dry.

So unless you have solar electrical power I'd probably be unplugging it too, because it's causing your computer to consume more juice. You could get a male to female extension like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-StarTech-co...aultDomain_0?hash=item439be22e65#ht_594wt_909
so you can locate it some place more convenient to unplug.

If you get a cable, get a good one (Belkin etc...). Last year I bought two defective Firewire cables in a row off of eBay so I wouldn't trust those no-name $2 El Crap-O cables.

Back