powered reference monitors

MO ELEMENT

i'm planning to buy a pair of powered reference monitors.

i recently did a demo mix on some PS-6's and they were artificially
bassy in the studio, which translated poorly to other systems.

is there a way to test them in order to separate the ad hype?

has anyone had a good experience with powered reference
monitors for $600 or less?

thanks in advance for your replies.

I have a pair of the EVENT 20/20Bas. I like them a lot. Nice, clean, relatively flat. I thought the P6's and P8's sounder somewhat bass-ier compared to the 20/20Bas when I auditioned them as well.

I have a pair of the Studiophile SP-5b's. At only 299.00 they were worth a shot. I think they work well for me. Don't get me wrong, they are inexpensive, but they seem to give me a decent handle of where the mix will be. And I am getting better with them with each mix. They are small and fit my application well.

I decided to buy them from Geetar Centur as they have a 30 day exchange. They worked well enough for me to keep them. You won't know what works well for you until you play with them a bit. Buy a pair and take em back if they choke. Just specify this when you buy em to be sure.

Fangar

Hey MO,

Yeah, I use the Yorkville YSM-1P's active moniotrs which cost $740 Cdn ($450 USD) a pair.....made right here in Toronto (sorry about that Littledog :-)

I listened to a ton of different monitors before buying these - but didn't want to spend more than about $600 USD, so my options were obviously somewhat limited.

Anyhow, I reckon the YSM-1P's are as good as your gonna get for under $500 USD, they are well made, really quite flat, have a crisp bass response and good mid-range imaging/seperation... there's nothing 'coloured' about their sound at all.

With 115W per side, there's enough power for most home studio setups......and they don't distort at high volume either.

I've been using 'em for a few months now, and I'm surprised just how good they are to mix on....I never intended on buying locally made monitors when I started to check out the products in the marketplace....these definitely seemed like the best in the price range.

Check 'em out...

http://www.gear1music.com/yorkvilleysm1p.html

KEV

I have the 20/20s as well. What I found was they are a little bass shy so my mixes were getting too much bass in them when played elsewhere.

To solve this I put a 33 band eq in and used a real time analyzer with a calibration mic to get the room to sound flat at my main listening position.

I've had my YSM1P's for a week or so now. This is my first pair of studio monitors, and I really don't have anything to compare them too, but they seem great so far. I need to spend some more time with them before I can really make a judgement though. Need to do some mixes and check them on different systems. I haven't done that yet, but I'll get back to ya.

to Djc......

don't just do mixes, etc on yer MONITORS....listen to lottza tunes, music etc...as well, then yu will really get to KNOW them and how they reproduce, etc.........

In fact, I hardly use my stereo anymore....I actually prefer listening to MY tunes on the YSM-1P's :-)

So, do YU reckon the Yorkies are good value for the buck???

10-4,

KEV

Back