Powered or Unpowered Mixer

nomotivation

Powered Mixer, Unpowered Mixer

What is the difference?. Is it that powered mixers have built in pre amps?

Where should i have pre amps? Do i need more than one?

alright..just kidding...a powered mixer is one that has amps built in.

if you have preamps, id say the location should probably be where you record.

:D

do you need more than one....well that depends what you are trying to accomplish.....thats a very vague question without any background.

some people have outboard preamps(for different colors)some use the ones built into the mixer.

BigRay said:
alright..just kidding...a powered mixer is one that has amps built in.

if you have preamps, id say the location should probably be where you record.

:D

do you need more than one....well that depends what you are trying to accomplish.....thats a very vague question without any background.

some people have outboard preamps(for different colors)some use the ones built into the mixer.

oh ok. so i really dont need a powered mixer.

Well i will need to record guitar, drums, and bass individually (all miced no direct input, mabye bass). So based on what u say, I can use the same preamp for each?! (im asking as much as im trying to understand).

can mixers have built in preamps?

Powered mixers (i.e. mixers with power amplifiers built-in) are generally used for live PA mixing of live band performances, whereas unpowered mixers are more generally used for higher-quality FOH or recording applications.

If you're asking about mic preamps (which you probably are), any mixer that has mic inputs, by default, has mic pramps.

if you're looking to record, get an unpowered mixer. They generally (though not always) are cleaner sounding with less-noisy components.

G.

Back