Powerbook vs notebook spend my money

electradise

WHat would you buy for running Logic-Kontakt-soft synths & plug ins ?

* 550Mhz Powerbook (384sd)
* 1.7Mhz Notebook (256ddr)
* ??? suggestion ???

I'm not interested in looks, warez, speed (think they're both pretty fast)
I just wanna make music without going crazy 'bout freezing computers, restarting.......
This issue is driving me crazy, help me out.

I have about 3500$ to spend for a lap-top, sound card, &.......
Thx

I'd buy an ultra portble desktop pc, like here.

http://www.pcpowerzone.co.uk/reviews.php?id=83

You could have this machine with a fast 7200 rpm drive, a high powered p4, a burner for, and a flat panel monitor for $1200 - $1300. Best of all that system would have a mouse. I hate those laptop glide pad things. You can find that product in the review at www.essencompu.com for $325.

Then spend the other half on an Echo Mona or Layla (depending on if you need preamps) with the laptop adapter, and a couple nice plugins, well or with whatever else you can get with the 700 bucks you would have left over.

Thats just what I would do, if you want to get a laptop with a wussy 4500 rpm harddrive then you go for it. But if you have problems, don't whine to me that you spent so much money on crap!! :)

Beezoboy

Thx Beezo.
That sure looks good but portability is also important.
Guess you're right but why does everybody use a d**n powerbook ? Off course the pc spec. look much more attractive but what about stability ? I'm thinking of buying the RME hamerfall. The 3500$ can all be spend at the laptop, soundcard not the software. Also P-books & notebooks are a lot cheaper in the u.s. Is it worth the risk of ordering in USA ? (live in Europe).
Actually is some of you guys using a lap for audio, soft sampler, synth ? Seems like nobody is talking about it in this forum.....

I am currently using a laptop. An IBM t20 750 Piii with 256 meg ram.

I am getting great results with it. Currently I am using the stock soundcard, as I keep waking for more firewire/pcmcia/usb2 alternatives. Also, it is a company computer and its lease is up in August so I am going to wait until then to see what I get to replace it.

I am running Sonar 2, use an evolution mk249c for soft synths and control sufracing. Very littel latency, barely ever crashes or has dropouts. I have run as many as 25-40 tracks at once, with a few plugins. with no problems. As far as # of recorded tracks at the same time, I only can do 1 at a time given the current soundcard situation.

I had ordered the Hammerfall HDSP but the release date kept getting pushed back, and I understand they are still hard to get in the states. In EU I hear it is easier. The only reason I would not get it now is that they don't support WDM drivers, which Sonar needs. RME says they can still get 3ms latency, but I am worried without WDM. If that wasn't an issue I would probably get that one.

The echo products seem like the choice I will go with, unless Presonus' firestation really knocks my socks off. Motu stuff isn't interesting to me b/c of their mac heritage and I haven't heard the greatest things about their support. Lastly, Metric Halo's mobile i/o looks like the best option, but they don't support PC drivers yet. They say they will soon, but when I inquired they said, "I don't know, maybe a few months". Not too encouraging.

I cannot go back to PC recording after using the laptop. I sue it everywhere. Mixing on trains, recording in hotel rooms. Even at home, I find myself easily being able to record in different rooms, etc.

Hard drive speed is an issue. Laptop specs often don't even mention it. Some I have seen are now 5400 and some sony's have 7200 drives. Firewire drives are another option.

Back