Power surge zapped.

:confused: A sudden storm popped OUT my Yamaha AW1600 power plug.

I know it's a holiday; however, I'm sure someone can give me some information.

I have a new Yam plug on the way and will get here in a few days.

My large puzzle is: WILL THE YAM TURN ON WHEN I turn on the new plug?

Or, is my recorder finished?

Thanks for any info you can pass on. BTW the power surge shut off only one only 3 lights and came on when I turned the power circuit back on.

Many thanks and I hope the unit will come back on.

Green Hornet

I know it's a holiday; however, I'm sure someone can give me some information.
Happy 4th, GH. I'm about to run out for the day like most folks, but I'm never too busy for an old friend...

If I had to bet, I'd bet that the wall wart was fuse or breaker protected well enough to isolate the main board. And the fact that your lights came on might be a good sign.

But it's always possible that enough juice snuck through to cause some damage. If it was a lightning strike, very weird things can happen that no fuse or circuit breaker can protect against. I've seen the potential static field be enough to blow things.

Many years ago I had a Ham radio rig in my room. There was a storm coming in, so I not only turned the radio off, but I disconnected the antenna an stuck the antenna connector plug inside of a glass drinking glass laying sideways. The antenna was grounded via a 6th grounding rod stuck into the ground, and the AC power was double-surge protected (besides the main 20amp circuit breaker).

Well, we suffered a lightning strike on the telephone/electric pole in my neighbor's back yard maybe about 100' from my room. (There may have been a branch of that strike on my antenna, but I can't say.) None of the electrical breakers were tripped, even though (maybe because?) the transformer on the pole exploded.

Yet strike blew out the final output transistors on my transmitter. This is usually cause by something coming in the antenna. Yet even with a grounded antenna and the coax disconnected and electrically isolated, there was enough of a field charge in the air to blow the finals.

In your situation I don't think there's any way of knowing for sure until you actually try it. Though I'm optimistic. I know that's not much of an answer, but it can go either way.

G.

Yo Glen:

MANY MANY thanks to you and taking time on a holiday to let me know what you think.

I can't believe that some freak high intensity volts popped the Song turn on box.

My vendor who is a pretty smart dude said it could go one way or another. I'm just happy that no body got hurt.

Thanks Glen and any time I can help out, you've got it.

Happy 4th and full of Fifths.

Green Hornet
Ben

hey hornet am i miss reading you... did you say that the unit lights a few with the old supply??? then it aint toasted... sounds to me as if it is the box it's self... we are talking bout a wall wart right???

Yo Demented Friend:

The ON/OFF Yamaha AW 1600 caught a micro blast of electricity last evening.

I didn't notice it until the next day when I wanted to do some recording/mixing. Then, NADA. The plug from the 1600 went to a plain DC Yam to the connect from a regular wall plug.

Next to my Korg, which was in a plug[/ Did not have any affect to the keyboard.

One plug blown and one plug with no problem with the Korg.

So, when the new Yam "Turn/On/ the/ plug" gets here in a few days, it will either turn on the "Song" opening for the Yam or it will not work.

I'm hoping the new plug will work.

Thanks if you have any thoughts.

Thanks, PS my neighbor lost TV/Oven/etc the same night I lost my Yamaha AW1600
Green Hornet]

Well, we suffered a lightning strike on the telephone/electric pole in my neighbor's back yard maybe about 100' from my room. (There may have been a branch of that strike on my antenna, but I can't say.) None of the electrical breakers were tripped, even though (maybe because?) the transformer on the pole exploded.

G.

i experienced the same thing a few years back. transformer on the pole exploded (man it was loud too), sparks raining, quite the light show. anyway, the reason it doesn't trip the breakers is that a voltage surge causes amperage to drop, and your breakers only trip based on current draw.

when it happened, i heard the boom, looked outside, and saw what was happening. i instinctively ran like a mf to unplug my daw (this was before i had dedicated power to my studio and a master switch that i always turn off when i'm not in it), and luckily it was fine. i lost my tv and alarm clock, but everything else survived.

i'm optimistic about the yamaha surviving, since i highly doubt i unplugged my akai in time to outrun an exploding transformer that had already made its presence known.

good luck, hornet!!!

i experienced the same thing a few years back. transformer on the pole exploded (man it was loud too), sparks raining, quite the light show.
And lets not forget the wonderful smell of a combination of ozone and melted toxic PCBs :P.

Thanks for the explanation; makes sense. I suppose it would help if I actually revisited Ohm's Law every once in a while, eh? Next thing you know I'll be forgetting my multiplication tables too :o ;)

G.

Yo Drossfile:

Thanks for more info about sparks and explotions.

I'll let the news break when I get the new Yam in a few days.

Hope it will turn on.

Enjoy,
Green Hornet:D

Yo Glen and all the other friends who let me know about the zapped Yamaha AW 1600.

It's blasted. I could smell the acrid odor the next day. I did turn on the new unit and all it did was "blink" at the window. So, I would mostly assume that the unit is dead and I'll have to get a new unit in a day or so.

Hate to lose many files of stereo mixed, about 88 of them. I do have most all of the recorded CD-S.

In a day or two, right back to the tracks.

I will, however, get a surge protector or just unplug the unit.

Hope all had a great 4th and time to move ahead.

Yo Glen and all the other friends who let me know about the zapped Yamaha AW 1600.

It's blasted. I could smell the acrid odor the next day. I did turn on the new unit and all it did was "blink" at the window. So, I would mostly assume that the unit is dead and I'll have to get a new unit in a day or so.

Hate to lose many files of stereo mixed, about 88 of them. I do have most all of the recorded CD-S.

In a day or two, right back to the tracks.

I will, however, get a surge protector or just unplug the unit.

Hope all had a great 4th and time to move ahead.

man, that sucks. glad to see you're in pretty good spirits despite the loss, though! live and learn, eh? :)

Back