Power surge with audio interface problem?

DeadKennedyz

Hey there, anyone who could help me with this would be much appreciated. I am new to recording, and recently won a 3-month battle struggling to download drivers for my new interface after Microsoft upgraded my computer from Windows 8 to 10, thanks to the awesome advice on this forum. Now, I have finally solved the problem and want to record, but am having a problem that when I plug in the audio interface, (presonus audiobox ione) to the USB port, the computer and interface freak out and apparently there is a power surge and the port doesn't have enough power. It is a surface pro 3, so there is only one USB port. Anyone have any advice? Does phantom power have anything to do with this, or the headphones that I plug directly into the interface? I'm using a vox valvetronix 60+ amp and a boss me-25 effects pedal.
Thanks!

If you have successfully used the presonus before without power surges, but now you have them, I would be inclined to look at the USB cable and the interface first. Although you have switched from W8 to W10, I can't see that as being the problem. Rather, it sounds more like a hardware problem. I'd try swapping USB leads (in case it is damaged and is shorting out). Or trying the interface in another computer. Or trying that lead without the interface connected, or with some other USB device.

I've never heard of this on on interface before but once did have a similar problem on a USB ADSL modem back in the very early days of broadband. The modem was rated at exactly the maximum specced power for USB but tried to grab a bit more than this as it booted.

My solution was simple--a self powered USB hub so the USB power came from there, not the computer. They're pretty cheap so it might be worth a try if you're sure that's your problem.

You've also given me pause for thought. I've been halfway looking at the Surface Pro for a few applications...

Yes Bobbs' one USB port seems very parsimonious. Mind you it is USB 3.0 (why not 3.1?) and this could be the root of the OP's problem? Maybe the Presonus is not as backwards compatible as we are led to believe 2 and 3 gear and the ports should be?

One thing is for PDSure? There should not be a power issue. The AI was designed to run from USB 2 power, 500mA and the Surface Pro port SHOULD deliver nearly twice that at 900mA.

A powered hub is a good idea but many AIs will not work through hubs. My old Fast Track Pro was one such but a brief test with my KA6 indicates that is fine.

Dave.

Hey guys,
So the problem has been solved. I bought a USB 3.0 hub and that fixed the problem. I am still irritated that it never worked in the first place, but oh well. This has been one of many problems with my setup ever since I got it, including drivers not installing, the interface not getting power from the computer, and hopefully this was the last issue, so I can FINALLY get to recording.
Cheers all

Back