Power supply toasted...

drathbun

This is kinda related to Sonar because as I was just preparing to record with my new upgrade Sonar 6 Producer, I lost the power supply to my M-Audio Audiophile USB. The power brick reads 0v on the meter. I've just purchased another on eBay (it is a 1000ma) but I have a question for other users of external power supplies...

For a while before this supply toasted, often when I turned on the computer, the audio would be garbled until I turned of and then on the Audiophile. While I was using it, when my wife was running the washing machine, it would cut out. I notice the lights flicker while the washer is going too. I can't isolate the power for this in my house. Do you think it is this power fluctuation that killed the supply? Is there something that could protect the power supply? Power conditioners are hugely $$$$ and not worth it when I can just get another $20 brick.

??

Just a guess, no, but the light flickering seem like a warning. Possibly a poor power connection -a wire junction or behind a breaker?
Is the p/c on a battery back-up? $40 for spike and back-up protection there is a very good idea and the Audiophile could tag along being low power.

Thanks for the reply. Would a power conditioner like a Furman rack power conditioner (15A with 8 outlets) send clean power to my Audiophile, my computer, my little 6 track mixer and my tube preamp?

I would check the connections at the breakers....make sure the screws are tight...if lights flicker then ther is a problem...electronics do not like low voltage, low voltage = high amp draw= crapped out electronics. I would also look into running a dedicated circuit to your equipment.

drathbun said:
Thanks for the reply. Would a power conditioner like a Furman rack power conditioner (15A with 8 outlets) send clean power to my Audiophile, my computer, my little 6 track mixer and my tube preamp?
I for one don't have an opinion on the specific benefits of that conditioner vs others. My slant towards the backup p/s system was that it gets the equipment off of a failing power circuit and on to battery' for the duration, or at least long enough to shut down.
Maybe someone can chip in on whether that also covers as a 'conditioning' solution during your brief dropouts. I see it working here apparently seamlessly when we get a hit.

Back