Power Mac G5 with Pro-tools

Guitarshot

I am currently looking at purchasing a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5Ghz. I was offered a really good deal on the tower. I have heard many pros and some cons about the G5. I was searching the internet today to see if i could get any reviews on how the G5 runs pro-tools 8, but was unsuccessful. I am an engineer that does a lot of mixing from home,and some tracking, but have only really worked with Mac Pro and Macbook Pro. If anyone can give me any info at all on how this computer runs pro-tools and logic (not used nearly as much) that would be very appreciated.

I have a Powermac G5 Quad 2.5GHz.

It runs Pro Tools well, but beware you will not be able to go any higher than Pro Tools 8 or Leopard, so unless it's a very good price, it's a bad buy.

You can't go higher than Leopard because Apple will not allow you to install Snow Leopard on anything but an Intel based Mac.

And there will be no support from Digidesign for Pro Tools on a Power PC based Mac above v 8.0.1.

It's also debatable how long they will continue to release updates for Leopard based Pro Tools systems too...

Back