Power conditioning for tube gear

jabulani jonny

Hey guys,
I'm currently using a Furman PL-Plus power strip in my mobile recording rack. I notice that when I'm at home I get noise, ie. white noise, clicks & hums coming from any tube gear that I plug in. The solid state or digital stuff is fine. My understanding is that most tube gear doesn't have much in the way of voltage regulation. Where I notice this most is with my Mesa Mark IV amp. When I play at church, there's no hum, when I play at home, there's hum, no matter if I use a different outlet or plug into the power strip.

Where I also notice this is with my ART Digital MPA tube preamp. I run it SPDIF to my Presonus Firestudio. When I have the BNC connected to the Firestudio for clocking, I get more white noise than if I disconnect the BNC and let the ART clock on it's own, though I still get some noise when signal is running through, like clicking or something, I'm thinking that's a clocking issue, I don't know.

Granted, I've got to run some more tests at home and at another location to check to see if the power is truly the culprit, but I'm thinking that I need some sort of power conditioning/filtering. Again, my Firestudio, Digimaxes and any solid state compressors are fine, no noise. However as soon as I cut the ART DMPA on I start getting white noise, clicks and hums.

I was thinking about getting rid of the Furman and picking up this monster unit: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRO3500/

I know that true conditioning and balanced power comes at a price, typically north of $1K, but I can't spend that right now. Max is about $400.

What if I got a single outlet balanced power supply to plug the Furman in, would that work? I'm thinking it wouldn't since the ART and the Firestudio are plugged into the Furman, that's where the interference would originate.

What do you guys think?

Thx!
Jonathan

Back