power conditioners

I have a PowerVar three stage torroidal transformer power conditioner that feeds two Triplight units which feed, among other things, two Furman PL-8s. Bought off e-bay for @$140 a couple years ago. I have a straight line from the electrical panel to the outlet for all of this. Seems to work well - it's mostly the stuff you don't notice - like hum that makes this worthwhile.

what powervar and tripplite models are you using? i've been thinking of upgrading in this area too.

what powervar and tripplite models are you using? i've been thinking of upgrading in this area too.

Let me look when I get home, they are buried under my desk and I haven't looked at them in a couple years. The Triplight units are just computer grade surge protector type units.

I have learned alot since starting this thread. I have gotten the Furman AR-15 II since and I think it is a nice investment for my gear.

Sorry I'm so late to the dance...

The reason I went with the Monster unit was - Well, one of several reasons - A three (four?) stage power-up / power-down. Amps on last, amps off first and all that.

The power here is very clean - I had a regulator (the TrippLite 2400?) and I couldn't stand it because it was so noisy... I'd have to run it to a different room and then back in if I wanted to keep it around. I hope the Furman doesn't give you the same problems...

I ended up with a Furman IT-20 balanced power supply. Amzing. Simply =amazing. I checked the levels in Cubase on one of my preamps with no mic connected and the gain at 50%. Changed over to the balanced power and re-tested. I lost 4db of noise. Also,subjectively, I swear their is more clarity in my recordings, and my monitors have become even clearer. You can argue that is "in my mind", but the 4db drop is indisputable.

Also, just as an added note, I heard that the balanced power supplis will make tube amps silent. That is the first thing I hooked up to the PS. Well, it made it louder! So, I waited over a week to install the PS because I had the mindset that it wasn't going to work!

Back