power conditioners

jcnoernberg

does anyone use a power conditioner? i got a lot of hum from my jazz bass, i've done all i can to try and eliminate it. im reading that its natural, but it may be corrected with a preamp. anyways, do the conditioners work at all for hum? I can get some Monster brand surge strips with clean power (cleans up AC) for cheap through work. would that work too?

You get hum because you J-bass has single coil pickups. To get rid of it, you either need to get humbuckers (they make humbuckers which will fit the existing pickup cavities), or always play inside a faraday shield. If neither of these are possible, then you should make sure your basses control cavities are all shielded. Beyond that, there is not much you can do. Clean power may help, but skip the overpriced Monster crap, and get some real power conditioners from Furman. I don't think it will help much, though, as the hum is caused by stray radio signals.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Power conditioners are different, surge protectors are different. Although they both do the same work, Power conditioner is specially made to fit in a rack space and has proper wattage to handle approximately 10 racks with clean power. Monster is the same as any other surge protector that sells on the market for 1/4th of its price. So monster is not a big deal.

Power conditioners and surge protectors are NOT the same thing. Surge protectors only stop spikes, power conditioners level out the voltage coming from the wall, so that your gear is getting a consistant voltage, which is important for the longevity, and the sound quality, of your gear. A surge protector does not do this.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Uh, actually power conditioners just filter out noise. To get constant voltage you need a voltage regulator(around $400 for a cheap one you can actually rely on)

The DI won't work if he is plugging into an amp- the ground lift is only for the mic output. It is usually used to stop ground loop hum when connecting, say, a keyboard to a mixer.

I don't know enough to say if it would work if he goes direct.

Back