Power Conditioner + Reduce noise?

sendittokeith

My studio is almost set up but i still have noise that comes from my laptop through the monitor speakers when my laptop power supply is plugged in.

Would this help eliminate some of the noise?:
http://www.samash.com/p/PRO 2500 PowerCenter Surge Suppressor_-49964460

Im not expecting 100% just looking for ways to improve and reduce the noise.

Let me also add this: When i first hooked up my monitors through my pedal using XLR i did not have noise. Once i hooked up my monitor speakers through my FireStudio interface using 1/4 the noise started - i have tried several different cables but they all have noise flowing through them - should i be looking at some special 1/4 shielded or gold plated cables as well/instead?

thanks

The noise is emitted from your computer's power supply and induced into the cable. A power conditioner will probably make no difference. You already know the solution; it's to use balanced cables as when you used the XLRs. So use a TRS cable from your Firestudio to your monitors--you didn't say what they were, but if their 1/4" input is not balanced, then get a TRS-->XLR (male) cable and connect that way.

BTW, gold plating makes absolutely no difference in noise rejection.

The noise is emitted from your computer's power supply and induced into the cable. A power conditioner will probably make no difference. You already know the solution; it's to use balanced cables as when you used the XLRs. So use a TRS cable from your Firestudio to your monitors--you didn't say what they were, but if their 1/4" input is not balanced, then get a TRS-->XLR (male) cable and connect that way.

BTW, gold plating makes absolutely no difference in noise rejection.
Thats the information i was looking for, thank you. I wonder why of all things, FireStudio would not have XLR at least for the main outputs. Im glad you responded before i wasted money.

Back