Power Amps

J Wah

I have read alot of posts about the monitors everyone is using. My question is what are you using to power these monitors. I may be looking at getting a new power amp and was looking at the QSC RMS850. It's going for $299. Not much more than the Alesis or the Hafler. Is this a wsate of money in a home studio?

Yo Doo Wah Doo J. Wah:]

Well, man, there are several ways you can run the amp race; it depends on what you need.

I don't have powered monitors so I run them through a Yamaha integrated amp. Model # AX592 and it runs around 500 pezzutos. Why do I use an integrated amp? Well, it makes it very easy for me to use my two tape decks, going either way, CD player, phono [rarely but a connection is there] am/fm if I ever needed it, AUX plugs for a DAT or whatever, and the amp has a clear through switch which eliminates any coloration from the amp while listening to cuts before mixing down.

But, others may need more power, etc. for different reasons. This Yam amp does just what I need. So, you see, you have to evaluate your needs and, of course, budget, and go from there.

Merry Christmas
Green Hornet

:D :D :p

GH,

I currently have a similar set up but with a Sony ES amp. Works alright but I have some other uses for it and thought I might just by a power amp for the studio.

Anyone else?

I use a QSC RMX1450 to power my Tannoy Proto J's and a GLI-x300 to power my Events. Along with those 2 sets of monitors, I also use 2 AudioPro speakers connected to a Pioneer integrated amp to judge my mixes POST monitoring to judge my sounds under normal listening conditions.

The Hafler P-series (3000) or better would be recommended.... also Bryston or Crown.

QCS makes decent stuff too, but don't forget now all these high-end amp manufacturers are producing "budget-oriented" lines as well, which won't have the same performance spec as their "good stuff."

Although given a choice between an Alesis or Samson amp at $300 or the Hafler TA series at around the same price, I'd go with the Hafler!

Bruce

Back