Power Amp of these

Nosferous

Right now I'm looking at three power amps, how would you rank them. If you can't rank them specifically by their model, then by what you know of each company please, thanks.

QSC RMX 850
Hafler P3000
Crown XLS 402

purpose:
until I can get two dedicated power amps. It will double to power my Yorkville YSM1-i's and a 4x12 cab when doing gigs.

Thanks for all input!

_Mike

(I chose these three because I can get either of them in basically the same price range (some new, some only used at the price) and either will supply my enough of what I need. thanks

I think Hafler is the more popular brand. Unfortunetly I cant vouche for em cause I use Actives. This is only what I have heard.

Yeah, I hear Hafler tossed around a lot, especially regarding the P series. But I heard the names QSC and Crown come up the other day as other good brands.

I saw that on your web site on your equipment list, was cool to see it go as so far as provide links to the respective equipments details pages.

I believe it was you I saw toss up the names QSC and Crown and good brands as well.

if anyone else has any more info to supply let me hear it.
It'll probably be another week before I purchase one.

thanks!

I have an Crown XLS202 (the 4 rack space version) and the fan on it is louder than hell all of the time. You would have to sick it out side of your control room for monitoring and you sure wouldn't wanted going in a room while you are recording.
I am sure the 402 has just as noisy of a fan.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the sound or quality of the amp. just the fan. This thing is 20 times louder than my other amps.

Later

F.S.

Ya That would be a very nice feature for in the studio.
I use a deca/424 for in the studio. It has a fan, but I can't hear it. It's oh so gental.

I know I'm impressing you Blue Bear, being the fan of peavey that you are:D:eek::D

F.S.

QSC!

Cleanest power amp I own!

Hafler also provides superb translation when connected with thier monitors!

thanks again all for your input.

I kinda cut Crown off the list ealier this morning, prices ended up being more expensive and it occupies more rack space than the Hafler and QSC one I was looking for, and also now just learned it's really loud.

I keep all my rack stuff in the closet as it keep it's noise down some if I had anything that made loud enough noise anywa

I think I've decided on the QSC, even though I know it has a fan. I can get that one the cheapest and it offers more watts per channel than the hafler. My next power amp will probably be a fanless and will be my dedicated studio amp and the QSC will go to the my cabs- live/rack.

thanks for the help/info
Most times I seek help on a topic I create myself at this board and I get one reply that gets me no where and it dies off /:

:-)

::EDIT::
I just bought an QSC RMX-850

_Mike

Last edited:
My friend uses an RMX850 to power his Ampeg 8x10 bass cabinet (850+ watts RMS at 4 ohms bridged).

That should translate to OVERKILL for your setup. A 4x12 cab can be powered by a 50 watt tube head, so that Hafler should be more than enough. It's also designed for studio use, where sound quality is much more important than raw power.

I have a crown CE-1000 and it's nearly silent unlike the XLS series, but once again, it is OVERKILL as it powers my 2 JBL eons and THREE wedge monitors.

Back