Potentially Buying Digi 002R.. (owners help)

quietb03

I currently have the EMU 1616M PCI and was wondering if anyone had screen shots of the audio panel included with the 002r (not pro tools, I'm talking about something like the Patchmix thats included with the EMU). I am curious about how it lets you route the inputs and outputs. I am getting the 002r because I heard it is a good quality interface if you want to get into pro tools.

We have one at school, and it seems like a grossly overpriced piece of gear to me. I mean, it's 1200 new, and all you really get is 4 semi-decent preamps, 4 more line inputs, and a couple of outputs (don't know exactly how many).

If I were you, I'd go for either an Mbox, an Mbox 2 (better) or an M-audio interface with protools M-powered (sold seperately) if you really wanna get into protools. 2 DMP3 preamps only cost about 300 and are better than the pres in the digi 002R.

You can score one for around $800 used. Thats well worth it. The preamps on it aren't amazing, but I use them for toms and overheads... just not beefy enough for other things. I'm not familiar with your current system, but the description of the hardware on Digi's site is pretty self-explanatory as far as ins and outs. 8 analog ins (4 preamps, 4 line ins), 8 channels of ADAT optical in, and 2 channels of SPDIF in. Same thing for outputs.

The 002R isn't an amazing box or anything, and I wish it had some processing power in it as well as more I/O for mixing OTB. If you're recording full bands, an MBOX just won't cut it. The 002 is the way to go. Unless you can hold off for a while and see what Digi puts out next. Then you can probably get an 002 for even less.

The 002 is a decent mid range A/D converter / interface. The thing I like about it is there is no compatibility issues with the software. A total of 18 ins isn't all that bad either. People talk about the preamps but other interfaces in that price range don't have killer pres either. I very rarely use the stock pres on the 002 but if I have to they are quiet although a bit on the sterile side.

thanks for all the replies guys but my question was does anyone have any screen shots of the software mixer (if the 002r has one) so i can see how the output routing will be. I chose the 002r because the mbox doesnt seem worth it for the amount of i/o.i can always upgrade the pres in the 002r down the line though. it hasnt arrived yet it should arrive in a few days.

SonicAlbert said:
You can probably find plenty of screen shots at digidesign.com, or just google "protools".

I know what pro tools looks like lol.. that's not what I was asking. You know how some interfaces come with a mixer like my EMU 1616 comes with patchmix, Firestudio comes with Control Console, Focusrite Saffire comes with Saffire Control.....hope u guys are understanding me now....

here:

that should give you an idea. This is version 6.4.1. It looks a little different with some of the newer versions. But it's very simple to route things.

There is no external, separate software mixer or router. It's all done inside Pro Tools.

bennychico11 said:
here:

that should give you an idea. This is version 6.4.1. It looks a little different with some of the newer versions. But it's very simple to route things.

There is no external, separate software mixer or router. It's all done inside Pro Tools.

There is no external mixer/router? Thanks thats all I needed to know. That sucks.

quietb03 said:
There is no external mixer/router? Thanks thats all I needed to know. That sucks.

why? there's no need to have an external router/mixer, IMO. everything is in the software you're using to record. Why would you want to have two software programs open...one to record in and another to control the I/Os?

btw, there is also an I/O setup window and hardware setup window to configure how routing is done or what the inputs voltage level is set at.
But that's still all in PT itself.

bennychico11 said:
why? there's no need to have an external router/mixer, IMO. everything is in the software you're using to record. Why would you want to have two software programs open...one to record in and another to control the I/Os?

btw, there is also an I/O setup window and hardware setup window to configure how routing is done or what the inputs voltage level is set at.
But that's still all in PT itself.

Do you think the 002r is a good investment for someone wanting to get into Pro tools and build their setup around the interface? Or would u recommend something like the M-Audio 1814 and M-Powered?

quietb03 said:
Do you think the 002r is a good investment for someone wanting to get into Pro tools and build their setup around the interface? Or would u recommend something like the M-Audio 1814 and M-Powered?

it's all about the I/O you need. If you need that many inputs, go either route. If you plan on using your own pres the 1814 might work fine. If you want it to have a couple more pres, the 002 has four. If you want the extra options LE has that M-Powered doesn't, then go with the 002. If you like the smaller interface, the 1814 would work.

look here for some comparison charts:
http://protoolsforum.com/ProToolsLE1.html

I can't really comment on the 1814, but it might be a good unit to help you get started. The 002r isn't terrible either.

quietb03 said:

Of course you can route audio internally or externally from the mixer channel strip in ProTools. The audio is routed via the busses and sends, and can be sent internally or externally by selecting the destination in the channel strip. It's really very easy, and well integrated into the work flow.

I don't like those little external control apps at all, I much prefer it all be integrated into the main software as it is in ProTools. It's not the way you are used to working, but I think once you get used to the concept you'll like it better too.

As bennychico said, there is also a routing window where you set up all the I/O, but once you've done that you don't really ever need to see that window again. I just click on "default" and leave it at that.

I personally like my 002r a great deal, and would choose it over the M-Audio stuff again if I needed to.

quietb03 said:

I use a 002r everyday and with pro tools it just seems so much easier than any other software and especially the ones with those seperate i/o windows. Also whoever said it was overpriced isn't very well informed of the total capabilities of a 002r. I'm currently using one with Cubase(which I'm really wishing I hadn't purchased) and with pro tools le, so there isn't a problem using it with other software if the need arises sometime in the future.

I own a projectMix with M-powered and yes there is a seperate FW driver app for routing. Seems to give me a lot of custom routing schemes but I'm having problems sorting it all out yet. BTW ProjectMix standalone is 10/6 including the S/Pdif (but not a stand-alone mixer) and up to 18/14 with an external AD like the Octane. Tascam has a similar CS/AD which I'm sure you already know.

ridgeback said:
I own a projectMix with M-powered and yes there is a seperate FW driver app for routing. Seems to give me a lot of custom routing schemes but I'm having problems sorting it all out yet. BTW ProjectMix standalone is 10/6 including the S/Pdif (but not a stand-alone mixer) and up to 18/14 with an external AD like the Octane. Tascam has a similar CS/AD which I'm sure you already know.

Yeah I know there is a externl mixer on the M-audio interfaces just wasnt sure about the Digi.... I'm debating now between the 002r and the Project Mix

Why do you want an external mixer panel, what is the appeal of that? How would you use it? Seriously, I'm curious about that.

SonicAlbert said:
Why do you want an external mixer panel, what is the appeal of that? How would you use it? Seriously, I'm curious about that.

Its just a way to control levels outside of the DAW. I've decided on the Project Mix it seems like a better deal to me. I love the fact that it has the control surface and 2 headphone outs.

quietb03 said:
Its just a way to control levels outside of the DAW.

tips:
output levels from Pro Tools can all be controlled with Master Faders
input levels are controlled from the amplifiers themselves (8 on the project mix) or if you are running line in you control it from the source itself...unless you choose to run it through one of the amplifiers.

also note (some people forget)....Pro Tools M-Powered does not come with the Project Mix. You'll have to purchase it separately.

quietb03 said:

I wouldn't recommend either the 1814 or M-Powered.

M-Powered has a low track limit (32 simultaneous), which I know I'd bump into constantly. You can upgrade to 48 by buying an additional piece of software, but really, why bother when there are much more flexible DAWs out there that don't lock you into a proprietary plug-in architecture, a particular brand of audio interface, etc.

As for the FW1814, my experience is that the hardware is very buggy at the FireWire PHY level. They don't play well with other devices---hubs, hard drives, other interfaces.... I spent hours trying to debug the thing and eventually concluded that it just doesn't work unless it is the only device on the bus. It usually works with one other device, but only if it is the first device.

The symptom of the failure is particularly bizarre---recording works, but the S/PDIF input and output go dead. I think the clock is going unstable, but I'm not certain. In any case, it's cranky enough that I would recommend any number of interfaces over it.

Back