Potential Studio Build - Suggestions?

pezking

I may well be converting my garage into a two room studio, obviously control and live rooms, with a window between.

I'm well aware of what I need to do, in terms of the studding etc. Just wanted input on the proportions of the rooms basically.

Currently the space is square, 5.6mx5.6m with no ceiling, but there are rafters at 2.3m up, so that would probably form the basis of my ceiling.

Whilst I'm aware that I'm better off with a fairly large control room, I want to make the live room large enough to accommodate my 6 piece band for rehearsals.

How would you split the space?

i would probably use large slider doors between the rooms to enable you to open it up, this way you could rehearse with people in both rooms and potentially record that way whenever you didn't need full isolation.

Hmm nice idea but I think the sliding doors would add considerable cost. I had been planning to build my own heavy doors...

It seems like the best idea is to have the control room in the corner like that, but I just wonder what sorta useable space that would leave.

don't chop it up - 6m x 6m sounds like a decent size room, you'll find the space is much easier to live in than if you divide it up.
between the soundproofing/absorption, gear, furniture, etc, you are not going to have a lot to work with if you chop it up.
I'm assuming this is a project studio, as it sounds pretty small, and this is the homerecording forum - if this is mostly for personal use, imho you will find it much, much more convenient to get to everything in the same room.
I helped set up a a 28' X 30' project studio - it was a decent sized space.
anything smaller is tough to deal with both from a claustrophobia and sound issues perspective.
cheers
C.

don't chop it up - 6m x 6m sounds like a decent size room, you'll find the space is much easier to live in than if you divide it up.
between the soundproofing/absorption, gear, furniture, etc, you are not going to have a lot to work with if you chop it up.
I'm assuming this is a project studio, as it sounds pretty small, and this is the homerecording forum - if this is mostly for personal use, imho you will find it much, much more convenient to get to everything in the same room.
I helped set up a a 28' X 30' project studio - it was a decent sized space.
anything smaller is tough to deal with both from a claustrophobia and sound issues perspective.
cheers
C.
Square rooms aren't good though.

Square rooms aren't good though.

Agreed.

I don't like the idea of not having a separate control room. I feel it's important when tracking to be able to monitor the microphones through my monitors, which I wouldn't be able to do in a single room. That's just one reason anyway...

Agreed.

I don't like the idea of not having a separate control room. I feel it's important when tracking to be able to monitor the microphones through my monitors, which I wouldn't be able to do in a single room. That's just one reason anyway...
I feel the same way.

How would you divide up the space?
I'd go with gullfo's suggestion. I might not be inclined to split into 4 small rooms, but i can't really think of a way round that with a square room. The least i can think of is 3 rooms(or 1), but that doesn't really improve on gullfo's suggestion.

I fear that I may have to make it into two rooms, which are four sided, though not necessarily rectangular. This would allow the rooms to be used as something else afterwards, were I to move out, as well as being somewhat cheaper. Obviously I'd have to counter any acoustical anomalies with treatment.

What do you think to that?

I fear that I may have to make it into two rooms, which are four sided, though not necessarily rectangular. This would allow the rooms to be used as something else afterwards, were I to move out, as well as being somewhat cheaper. Obviously I'd have to counter any acoustical anomalies with treatment.

What do you think to that?
I just remembered. I suggested this a long time ago for a square bedroom studio. It could be adapted to be more acoustically correct, but that might work.

Attachments

• pezking.GIF
    pezking.GIF
    5.6 KB · Views: 40
i'd split it up into 3 rectangular rooms. make the CR capable of becoming a "home theater", the vox booth as a "wine cellar", the live room as a "very nice sounding living room" ;-)

Back