Posting this for a friend...

tylerxxx

My friend just bought cubase sx 3, and can't seem to get his midi controller to work. Can someone help him out?

I don't know any details, he's at work. Asked me to post this for him... All I know is that he has an m-audio controller.

Yes, there is a known issue with M-audio controllers and Cubase SX that can make setting up a nightmare. I used to have an M-audio controller myself. He'll need to do the following:

In Cubase:

Activate the 'MIDI controller active' option in the 'MIDI devices' submenu.

Go into set-up and under 'controller select' enter the following numbers in the boxes: 1, 4, 4, 0, 5, 6, 1 (this is the M-audio hardware ident number).

On the arrange page find the button near the top that looks a bit like a banana - press this. This will enable MIDI in.

In set-up again, click on 'Sync parity timecheck' to enable tight sync.

In the MIDI menu deselect 'Allow timedrift while recording', then go to the pulldown menu called 'Controller channels' and choose 'Channel 10', then click on 'Use this channel only'.

Go to preferences and then MIDI options. Follow the tree of options that follow and enable it: MIDI/Controllers/Manufacturer/M-audio/Note Data/Patch numbers/Key range/MIDI sync/Channel enable

Back in set-up go to 'USB/MIDI devices' (I think it's called, I'm away from Cubase at the moment). Click the pulldown menu 'Timecode offsets' and select '0'. On the same page click on 'Disable data mixing'.

Back in the MIDI menu, follow the tree to get to the 'Filters' menu (I can't remember where this one is exactly) and then enable the following: 'Use system timestomp', 'Allow MIDI variance', 'Allow MIDI expansion'. In the same place, DISABLE the following: 'Drop note data every *ms', 'Lose project on crash', 'Forget audio set-up on start'.

There's a lot to go through, but as far as I can remember that should work. I hope that helps!

When selecting Channel 10 after deselecting the "Cubase m-audio troubleshooter dropdown menu" don't forget to adjust the expansion key stamp to 14 milliseconds. M-Audio's CEO just made an announcement that the company will no longer produce midi timecode's for Cubase SX3 but only SX 2.776H. Hopefully your friend can rollback to that version. Hopefully he doesn't have the bad drivers that were suppose to be recalled which made it so only the d flat keys would play. Keep me updated on the progress.

Back