Posting covers ?

jordokid

gnubie
I was going to post a version of "I Walk the Line" as kind of a tribute but found out that legally I should have written permission to do so. Any clue as to how this is done?
thanks,
el jordo

Where are you planning on posting it?

The Harry Fox Agency handles mechanical licenses, but I believe these are licenses for putting a song on a CD and selling the CD. (The license rate is based on the number of CD's produced.) http://www.songfile.com/

Not sure what kind of copyright you need for posting on the internet. It's probably something you would need to get from ASCAP or BMI. Similar to what a radio station or a bar needs, I imagine.

If you're posting it on your own web site, personally I wouldn't even worry about it.

Well I wanted to post it on NWR so I checked with Waldo first and I guess it is not supposed to be done without permission. Thanks for the info as I hope to sell my own Cds someday and would like to be able to do versions...that is if I ever figure out how to record my stuff in a halfway decent manner and anyone actually wants to buy 'em!
thanks,
el jordo

Back