posting and copyrighting

Poigan

for those who post their work(s), do you copyright everything you make or just the compositions that you plan on making public?

i've been working on some basic compositions and i'm holding off on posting them until i get straight with the copyright issue(s).

if it makes any difference, these are original compositions with little or no sampling. the samples that are used are generally unrecognizable and not from songs. they're vocal and/or sound effect samples.

thanks in adavance for input...

The way I handle copyright matters is through Creative Commons.

They have a number of ways to protect yourself and your compositions from theft, and the one I usually go with is called 'share alike'. That means that anyone can modify or add to your composition provided they also release it in 'share alike' form and give you credit as author and, if your song is going to become part of a commercial release, work out a royalty plan with you.

thanks for the link. i like the concept, but i'm a little uncomfortable with 2 things:

1. there is no option for the U.S. as a jurisdiction
2. permission to copy my material is not desirable (non-commercial or not)

i will definitely bookmark this though. i can see where i may find some use for this in the future.

Bueller?

does anyone post files on MySpace, and do you wait until you've gotten a full copyright is basically what i would like to know...anyone?

Poigan said:
2. permission to copy my material is not desirable (non-commercial or not)
Why the fuck not?

Your version of your song is the final, be-all, end-all, definitive version?

Under Creative Commons, anyone who adds to, incorporates, or as you put it 'copies' your material has to put it out the same way ('share alike'), give you credit and contact you to negotiate a division of any monies that may be gained from your shared composition.

Are you so proud of your songwriting/production/beatmaking skills that you can't imagine them being improved on?

Sheesh.

:confused:

do you think that you're actually going to make it?

im sure you are an excellent musician, seriously, and you are very proud of your work, but no one, except some little punks, are looking to rip off people's work and call it there own...

i wish i had your confidence, i know my music just isnt good enough to go mainstream, so i just do it for fun..

ssscientist said:
Why the fuck not?

Your version of your song is the final, be-all, end-all, definitive version?

Under Creative Commons, anyone who adds to, incorporates, or as you put it 'copies' your material has to put it out the same way ('share alike'), give you credit and contact you to negotiate a division of any monies that may be gained from your shared composition.

Are you so proud of your songwriting/production/beatmaking skills that you can't imagine them being improved on?

Sheesh.

:confused:

a little hostile eh? :confused:

has nothing to do with it. if you look at the small print at Creative Commons, U.S. copyright is not one of the covered jurisdictions. it isn't a matter of pride, it's a matter of being smart about my intellectual property. Creative Commons does not appear to offer similar protection as a standard copyright. as i stated previously, i may use it in the future, but not for what i'm doing at the moment.

relax dude... ;)

Poigan said:
for those who post their work(s), do you copyright everything you make or just the compositions that you plan on making public?

i've been working on some basic compositions and i'm holding off on posting them until i get straight with the copyright issue(s).

if it makes any difference, these are original compositions with little or no sampling. the samples that are used are generally unrecognizable and not from songs. they're vocal and/or sound effect samples.

thanks in adavance for input...

Yes, it is a good idea to submit your works for a registered copyright and it really isn't that expensive. You can submit a group of songs on a single CD using form SR (sound recording) for $45. www.copyright.gov has all the info you need.

Poigan said:
U.S. copyright is not one of the covered jurisdictions
If you read it with less than a jaundiced eye you'd see that many famous and unfamous people in the US are using it. Copyright is a funny thing; enforceable at law, but if you had the money to follow thru with a lawsuit you wouldn't need to sue in the first place. So why not cut to the chase, take the easy way out and let it out on a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-NoDerivs license or a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 license?

What makes me hostile is that this is exactly how misinformation and disinformation get spread over the web --- Google will pick up this post for their sixth page and when someone searches 'Creative Commons' they will find your comments. And your self righteous negativity may well give others pause in their decision to use it or not.

A few questions...
1st. can i use this for music I already copyrighted?
2cd. since u.s isnt covered does that mean people in u.s can steal it?but foreigeners cant?
3rd. its a way of leasing while keeping control of your stuff?
4th. am i even elgible since im in u.s?
I checked the sight but this brazil thing keeps poping up

I think this could work for my beats, not my music.
But with some more info maybe i will use.

ssscientist said:
If you read it with less than a jaundiced eye you'd see that many famous and unfamous people in the US are using it. Copyright is a funny thing; enforceable at law, but if you had the money to follow thru with a lawsuit you wouldn't need to sue in the first place. So why not cut to the chase, take the easy way out and let it out on a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-NoDerivs license or a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 license?

What makes me hostile is that this is exactly how misinformation and disinformation get spread over the web --- Google will pick up this post for their sixth page and when someone searches 'Creative Commons' they will find your comments. And your self righteous negativity may well give others pause in their decision to use it or not.

if people are using it, then my comment should not matter. the point is, it doesn't cover the U.S. since i live here and would likely have to pursue any legal proceedings in this jurisdiction, that is not a minor issue. if i had not read over the info, i would not have seen that. it isn't in plain sight at all. are you getting paid by Creative Commons or are you just a little over zealous? if you get past your overly emotional interpretation of my comment, you will notice that i said i can see where i would have use in the future for Creative Commons. your response would have one think i said that Creative Commons sucks and is for suckers. on a final note regarding your raving, if people base their opinion solely on a forum comment without going to the actual source or doing any in depth research, they didn't really want the service in the first place...

RELAX DUDE! :cool:

no one has actually answered my actual question yet. i just want to know if you post on myspace, do you copyright everything you post or no?

thanks for all the other info/links though...

Hey dude

I've pondered this stuff myself and came to the conclusion that if it was a goof off song, I'd post it. If it was something I was puttin on my real stuff, I'd copywrite. I just figured better safe than sorry.

Not an answer, I know, but if you think your stuff is good enough, why not copywrite?

Poigan said:
are you getting paid by Creative Commons or are you just a little over zealous?
You're the one who needs to relax.

I'm not going to insist that you use common sense.

I'm not going to say it again.

I put the links out there and if you choose not to use them that's your damage, your lookout, your problem and your unenforceably protected music.

Please don't bother to reply, unless you're the kind of nitwit who always needs to have the last word.

Dogbreath said:
Hey dude

I've pondered this stuff myself and came to the conclusion that if it was a goof off song, I'd post it. If it was something I was puttin on my real stuff, I'd copywrite. I just figured better safe than sorry.

Not an answer, I know, but if you think your stuff is good enough, why not copywrite?

actually, that is the type of answer i was seeking. i'm just trying to get a general idea from people who actually put audio on myspace. thanks Dogbreath.

as for the rowdy guy, you won't be getting any more responses from me. what's the point? sometimes you need something to be angry about, even on the web...whatever. :D

NOTE:
and just in case you vainly believe this was an attempt to get the last word, i made this post before i read your last post and then edited it to add this part. perhaps you didn't read the part of my post that said THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS.

I do both.
I like to consider people honest until proven otherwise, I haven't gotten anything stolen (that I know of). It probably wouldn't really bother me too much even if they did, I'd take it as a compliment (unless ofcourse it's a commercial release, then I'm just screwed and pissed...lol). About 65-70% of my music online or being handed out is copywritten.

dirtyp said:
I post clips, does anyone have more info on creative commons?

hate to be sarcastic, but did you read the previous posts? the link is there. all the info you need, straight from the actual source... ;)

If it's a song I care about, and a song I put a lot of work into, I'd definately copyright it before putting it up on the internet, such as a myspace page.

And I'd register it with the library of congress, I wouldn't use any third party sites.

If for nothing else, then for piece of mind, knowing your work is protected.

Back