Post your latest purchase!

Jane, you ignorant gear slut. :)

But -5 points for any other rack gear that has to say 'Pro' in its name. per channel. :D

Actually that Pro VLA is one of the very best compressors in its price class. 2 linkable channels of clean compression for under $300, and it does a pretty damn good job! I highly recommend it as a first compressor, it's a great value. It does a great job on vocals and bass guitar.

The Distressors blow it away though, just out of sheer character. I love the distortion modes and how they add some analog-sounding mojo to bass guitar. As soon as I sent vocals through one, I immediately recognized the sound from a few familiar records. Been loving them on kick and snare as well. I'm still learning what all they can do, though I haven't found a bad setting yet.

Actually that Pro VLA is one of the very best compressors in its price class. 2 linkable channels of clean compression for under $300, and it does a pretty damn good job! I highly recommend it as a first compressor, it's a great value. It does a great job on vocals and bass guitar.
been wondering about that .... I dislike compression but there's times when it could really be useful.
But I've only ever used crap.

Is that good enough to get me to quit hating compression?

It's a good unit. I've got one, and would be happy to pick up another.
Now getting it to have you stop hating compression? I dunno. :D

Love my Pro VLAII. I use it on every song. Lt. Bob, you heard that guitar tone test I posted on the New Tone Thread a couple of nights back. The PRO VLAII is in the bass guitar chain. A Fender Jazz favoring the neck pickup, flat wound strings, and the PRO VLAII is the bass sound I've gravitated toward.

The Pro MPAII preamp is pretty nice too.

Well, due to medical bills, there was not under the tree for my studio...I did get a nice, new Gibralter throne so I can stop sitting on the edge of the piano bench to play. :)
Other than that, just strings for the year (my wife always buys that for me). Had a niece buy me a lava lamp...Probably the most useful tool in my studio ;)

Just ordered 9 sheets of 1" OC 703 for $65 off eBay. 2"'s of OC 705 would have been better. Oh well, do with what you can afford. Still kinda stoked, I haven't been able to get anything for the studio in a while. Work has really slowed down and no OT in months. I like not working but miss the money. I also signed up for a guitar repair and setup seminar in March. Looking forward to that as well.

Love my Pro VLAII. I use it on every song. Lt. Bob, you heard that guitar tone test I posted on the New Tone Thread a couple of nights back. The PRO VLAII is in the bass guitar chain. A Fender Jazz favoring the neck pickup, flat wound strings, and the PRO VLAII is the bass sound I've gravitated toward.

The Pro MPAII preamp is pretty nice too.

Nice, I also have a Pro VLA II and a MPA Gold. I don't use them very often though. I generally only use them on vox.

My last two guitars I bought were a LP Axcess, and a Carvin SCB6, and then for Christmas my better half bought me the BigSky.

Not a purchase, but I made a trumpet case for my kid. His good trumpet is a bach 37 with a street price of about $2700 new. His is much older, like pre-strike at the Bach plant older, and apparently worth much more. It's a great instrument, but the case that came with it is a piece o' crap. So he needed something more commensurate with the trumpet.

It's funny, he'll go to a music shop and play $5000 horn and come out thinking his own trumpet plays better. Kinda like me and my Mexican martin!! :D

So this was my first attempt at doing something like this. Lots to learn to make a simple box. It's white pine to keep it light with zebrawood and flamed maple veneer. I messed up all the symmetries because I veneered each piece individually before assembling. I didn't even think about lining up the seams until I put it together. Doh!!

Believe it or not, the interior was way more difficult to do than the box. Getting the foam and fabric cut right and fit good is not easy.

BTW, the trumpet in the pic is his crap trumpet. It looks like hell, but still plays great.

TrumpetCase01.jpg

TrumpetCase03.jpg

TrumpetCase06.jpg

Refurbished a banjo. It was in a fire and was not in great shape. Had the nut replaced, I replaced the tuning pegs, skin and bridge. All of the metal parts I soaked in CLR to remove the rust. Adjusting the bridge and the head was very much trail and error.

I tuned it to open G, and now starting to learn how to play it. This is an instrument you have to have a strap, it does not sit on the knee very well, despite what the songs says.

banjo_sm.jpg

Thanks guys. The night after gluing the maple veneer, it got cold in the garage and the veneer blistered and cracked. So I flattened the blisters and left the cracks as they were. I wasn't redoing all that work, much like I hate to retrack. Later on, I used an amber shellac and it gave it a real rustic look. That's when I decided the Lone Star had to go on the box. Came out pretty cool. Plus the maple veneer has that 3D effect going.

DM60, cool restore on the banjo. Burn baby burn. :D I've got a banjo, but haven't pulled it off the rack in some time. It sits over my work computer and when I'm talking on the phone, I can hear it reverberate from my voice. lol

Not a purchase, but I made a trumpet case for my kid. His good trumpet is a bach 37 with a street price of about $2700 new. His is much older, like pre-strike at the Bach plant older, and apparently worth much more. It's a great instrument, but the case that came with it is a piece o' crap. So he needed something more commensurate with the trumpet.

It's funny, he'll go to a music shop and play $5000 horn and come out thinking his own trumpet plays better. Kinda like me and my Mexican martin!! :D

So this was my first attempt at doing something like this. Lots to learn to make a simple box. It's white pine to keep it light with zebrawood and flamed maple veneer. I messed up all the symmetries because I veneered each piece individually before assembling. I didn't even think about lining up the seams until I put it together. Doh!!

Believe it or not, the interior was way more difficult to do than the box. Getting the foam and fabric cut right and fit good is not easy.

BTW, the trumpet in the pic is his crap trumpet. It looks like hell, but still plays great.

View attachment 95773

View attachment 95774

View attachment 95775

Very nice. Do you do coffins? I'll pay in advance... :D

Actually there's a market opportunity there somewhere... What guitarist wouldn't want a guitar case shaped coffin complete with shaped cut out and a place to put your favourite picks...;)

Very nice. Do you do coffins? I'll pay in advance... :D

Actually there's a market opportunity there somewhere... What guitarist wouldn't want a guitar case shaped coffin complete with shaped cut out and a place to put your favourite picks...;)

I can do coffins. The good thing about that is you won't be around to complain about poor craftsmanship. :D

I'm curious if the case will stir up inquiries from other students and staff at school. I'm coaching my kid on how to handle questions. "Yeah, my dad might be interested in making another one, but his time is expensive. I'll have to ask him"

I'm actually hoping his private lessons teacher will want one. He's expensive and I'll do some bartering.

I can do coffins. The good thing about that is you won't be around to complain about poor craftsmanship. :D

I'm curious if the case will stir up inquiries from other students and staff at school. I'm coaching my kid on how to handle questions. "Yeah, my dad might be interested in making another one, but his time is expensive. I'll have to ask him"

I'm actually hoping his private lessons teacher will want one. He's expensive and I'll do some bartering.

Not much gets by you, Chili! Looks like a real fine piece of work! :)

Back