Possibly the first song for our EP. Thoughts?

Jim D

BROKEN CLIP 030412 by Stoneface on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

We've been trying to put together an EP for a while, (4 to 6 songs) and we have about 20 that need to be completed. So this is the first one we picked since its pretty short and simple. The music is pretty much done (though this is not the final recording) and we're just getting started on the lyrics/vocals (you'll notice theres no chorus). Also, I'm just starting with a new recording set up, so I thought I'd throw this rough draft out for some feedback. Any comments or criticisms would be appreciated

I like the guitar/bass riffs, not sold on the vocals just yet. I'm sure you guys will come up with something for them though. The drums are ok performance wise, but is that ezdrummer or an electronic kit or something? If so, hopefully the final recording will include real drums. That would help it out a lot. Maybe a little faster tempo?

Thanks for the feedback guys. And yes the drums are EZ Drummer, the first song I've completed using EZ drummer (before it, Ive used a dr rhythm drum machine for years). Let me as you this, as far as disliking the vocals, do you not like the talking/growling type vocals or do you just think he doesn't pull it off well? If that question makes sense. (We're both very new to singing and are still trying to find our voices)

The talking growling thing can be done (think Pantera - Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills). But I don't think he's there yet. Maybe when there is a chorus he can open up a little more for that. In general though, he should just try going all out instead of holding back volume-wise. It may be too much, but you can find a happy medium somewhere between. As with everything, practice will help.

The talking growling thing can be done (think Pantera - Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills). But I don't think he's there yet. Maybe when there is a chorus he can open up a little more for that. In general though, he should just try going all out instead of holding back volume-wise. It may be too much, but you can find a happy medium somewhere between. As with everything, practice will help.

Thanks again for that. We were already thinking Pantera-ish for vocals. We'll keep at it. If anyone else has any suggestions, Im all ears.

The riff/groove is really cool.

The drums sound a little dull. Not enough crack on the snare. Cymbals are a little dull too.

I'd back off the reverb on the guitar. Keep it just about as dry as the vocal.

Vocal is missing definition. Not enough higher end. Performance seems a little "tentative." Some timing issues - at least to my ear.

Guitars sound OK. Not fantastic, but OK.

If I was your producer these would be my suggestions:

I would have the intro be almost a dirty sounding low-fi type guitar tone and then when the song kicks in have that heavy guitar sound take over, doubled up of course.

I dont know what your planning for the chorus but I think a real melodic sounding chorus would be cool to give the song some contrast.
Work on the drums or get a real drummer, but I think your off to a solid start.

The riff/groove is really cool.

The drums sound a little dull. Not enough crack on the snare. Cymbals are a little dull too.

I'd back off the reverb on the guitar. Keep it just about as dry as the vocal.

Vocal is missing definition. Not enough higher end. Performance seems a little "tentative." Some timing issues - at least to my ear.

Guitars sound OK. Not fantastic, but OK.

Thanks Triple M. There's a definite issue with getting EZ Drummer to sound like I want it, but I'm working on it. As far as my guitars, I do get some criticism for my love of reverb, I'll work on that as well. And we know a final vocal take will definitely have to be stronger. Thanks for taking the time to check it out though, glad to have the feedback.

If I was your producer these would be my suggestions:

I would have the intro be almost a dirty sounding low-fi type guitar tone and then when the song kicks in have that heavy guitar sound take over, doubled up of course.

I dont know what your planning for the chorus but I think a real melodic sounding chorus would be cool to give the song some contrast.
Work on the drums or get a real drummer, but I think your off to a solid start.

Thanks dreib. I like the lo-fi intro suggestion, the intro guitar was supposed to be panned to one side, lo-fi would probably sound cool. We've been bouncing back and forth as to whether to do a more melodic sounding chorus or not, both of us are very much just starting out trying to sing, but if we can pull it off we will. Drums will be a work in progress as I get more comfortable with EZ drummer (but we are hoping for real drums in the end). I'm loving the feeback, thanks everyone. Keep it coming.

Back