Possibly redundant pre-amp/mic question + 441/sm7

capnreverb

I got a sennheiser 441 today and noticed it needed a lot of fricken gain. It sounded good, but I was surprised at the juice it needed from my alesis mixer/board. It sounded better using my dmp3, at least in terms of gain.

I was thinking about buying a shure sm7 next, but read somewhere on here that they only really sound amazing/great with a high end pre-amp, which I don't have. Is this true?

If you have lower end pre's, which would be the better choice (I know it's subjective)- sm7b or an ev re-20?

How do you open a 441 up? I would like to tighten the mic jack input cause it's a little loose/wobbly. Also, is the side with the bass roll off switch supposed to move a tiny bit up and down. I got the mic used, and don't know a whole lot about it.

thanks.

Actually it's NOT subjective, the RE20 is nowhere near that fussy about what pre you use compared to a Shure (SM7, '57,545, etc.). Same goes for other classic dynamics, like your 441 or a Beyer M88.

Nonetheless if your source, for example a singer, sounds great that'll overide the pre concerns. Aretha through an ART Tube will kick Britney's butt anyday.:)

What will happen, however, is if one of these mics need high gain it'll show you how quiet (or not) the pre is.

Chris

P.S. The DMP3 is a nice clean pre capable of professional results.
You may want to use the 441 on louder sources for better S/N ratio.

Wow, thanks. Thats the kind of info that is so good to know. Looks like I will save the extra $ to buy the re20 instead.

Back