Possibly Lookin for a small amp...

mud

Ok, i bought me a guitar and im obviously gonna end up lookin for an amp, if not for jammin, for giggin or in the studio.

Was reading one of the threads on a 30watter....tbh i dont want anything too beastly and i would prefer something that i can lug about easily if needs be.

So the main criteria is this...

Sounds good live or in studio.
Sounds just as good at low vol as it does at topend.
Doesn't torch a hole out of my pocket and burn my nuts on the way past.

As for a price guide, if i could get one under £75 i'd be shocked, £100 id be happy, £150 means i need to wait a couple of weeks longer.

So the challenge is yours, dare you accept it????

what is that in English dollars....I kinda like crates with flexwave ciruitry. Nobody else seems to though.

ZVex is a way low power unit that sounds pretty decent but it's way under 30 watts...THD Univalve and the THD BiValve both have hot plates built in might fit the bill. I have the Uni and bought it for studio use...a very tasty amp.

What sort of music are you wanting to play?

Sorry...the budget contraints just sunk in...my bad :o

Last edited:
Best I can do for ya is the Traynor TRM40, available from MF shipped for free for $150. It's the most tube-like solid state amp I've ever seen, carry it in one hand, built just like an old Fender, louder than snot if you're in the basement.

It's about the cheapest good amp I would recommend, but you might be able to compare it to a Vox AD15.

We were having a discussion on another board about low wattage tube amps for recording. I'm heading to the store this weekend to try some out, but these seemed to be the contenders:

Epiphone Valve Junior 5W ($119 US)
Vox Valvetronix 15W ($179 US) - not a full voltage tube amp, but a SS with a starved plate tube and amp modeling, I believe
Crate Palomino 5W ($279 US)
Fender Blues Junior 15W ($398 US)

If that Epiphone is any good, I'm buying one.

scrubs said:
We were having a discussion on another board about low wattage tube amps for recording. I'm heading to the store this weekend to try some out, but these seemed to be the contenders:

Epiphone Valve Junior 5W ($119 US)

Yeah, the world needs a small, cheap tube amp that sounds good. I dunno how to do one for $100 though. The parts cost of a Fender Champ is probably more than that :confused:

Does the Epi have power tubes, or is it a hybrid? Cause I can say from my RAGE! mod that a full voltage hybrid design can sound pretty good.

mshilarious said:
Yeah, the world needs a small, cheap tube amp that sounds good. I dunno how to do one for $100 though. The parts cost of a Fender Champ is probably more than that :confused:

Does the Epi have power tubes, or is it a hybrid? Cause I can say from my RAGE! mod that a full voltage hybrid design can sound pretty good.
Epiphone.com said:
• 5 Watts, Class A
• 12AX7, EL84
• Single-Ended
• 8” Special Design Speaker

Valve Series Junior: Boutique amplifiers just became the domain of every guitar player out there. Take a listen and your jaw will drop. This little, low-watt powerhouse rivals $800.00 snob boxes no problem. The Valve Junior is vintage tone and crunch in an impressively affordable package. Perfect for recording, live, mic’d use and for practice when space is limited but sacrificing tone isn’t an option.

Boutique goes Newtique: The Valve Junior uses true vintage design philosophies to achieve incredible tone, warmth and responsiveness. Add that to Epiphone’s ongoing mission to deliver the best value in fine instruments and you’ve got an unbeatable combination. And don’t let the 5 watts fool you. The Valve Junior is LOUD. Here’s why:

Class A: One knob delivers Class A output through a single-ended circuit that responds to your play the way a compact amp is supposed to. Class A amplification delivers constant power from the tube, creating more responsiveness and volume. Keep it at about 3 and you’ll get punchy, clear tone that makes the strings of your guitar feel like they know what you’re going to play before you even hit them. The response is quick and lively. Turn it up to 10 and you get a classic crunch that’s gusty without saturating the harmonics.

Single Ended: Single ended amplifiers sound “full”, providing rich, luscious overall tonal coloration with enough clarity to bring out the nuances of your guitar and playing. Part of what we call “volume” is how much of the tonal spectrum is making it through to the ear. Fuller delivery of the harmonics being produced deliver more meaningful volume. At lower wattages, they’re coveted for a natural break up when turned to higher volumes, resulting in a creamy distortion that makes modern gain sound sterile and flat.

Durable Construction: High quality metalwork, detachable power cable, rugged, musical speaker and a lot of attention to detail make the Valve Junior an uncompromised and serious piece of gear. A 5 year warranty backs up our commitment.

scrubs said:

Cool. I hope it sounds as good as they write :D I might wish they sprung for another knob; pre/post controls can be a useful thing in a practice amp, especially with a power tube. That way you could pick the stage you want to beat the crap out of :cool:

Man, I've got to disagree. The epi I played sounded iffy at best. I would step up to the 5w Crate if you need the small size factor. I would also check out some used models like the 15w class Ampeg or even some older Peavey models. Across the pond you should have an easier time finding some of the smaller tube Vox models. I would just be sure to shop around and remember in this category the only real deals you are going to find will be in a used amp.

In the first post i realise it says that i dont want something beastly...this was with regards to over 50watt. What im lookin for is something that is around the 30w mark which comes within those price brackets if possible. It will be used for studio, practice and also live so should be able to stand up to it...also have a varying of sounds so that i can pull what i need from it.

mud said:
In the first post i realise it says that i dont want something beastly...this was with regards to over 50watt. What im lookin for is something that is around the 30w mark which comes within those price brackets if possible. It will be used for studio, practice and also live so should be able to stand up to it...also have a varying of sounds so that i can pull what i need from it.

Be aware that a 30W solid state amp is very different from a 30W tube amp. Tube amps are generally much louder for their respective wattage rating. Can you tell us what general style of music you're playing? What guitar(s) will you be using? If you really need a "variety" of sounds, perhaps a modeling amp (like the Roland Cube, Line 6, or Vox Valvetronix) would be ok. You'll get plenty of sounds to work with, but imo, none of them will really sound like the amps they are trying to emulate.

scrubs said:
Be aware that a 30W solid state amp is very different from a 30W tube amp. Tube amps are generally much louder for their respective wattage rating. Can you tell us what general style of music you're playing? What guitar(s) will you be using? If you really need a "variety" of sounds, perhaps a modeling amp (like the Roland Cube, Line 6, or Vox Valvetronix) would be ok. You'll get plenty of sounds to work with, but imo, none of them will really sound like the amps they are trying to emulate.

This is true,my 15 watt Blues junior is louder than my 50 watt Princeton chorus.

Here's my 2 cents worth,....

If you can find a Trace Elliot 'Velocette',..... for about what your upper budget is,... buy it,....

Finest lil 15 watt Class A all tube amp you can get,.....haven't made it for a few years,.. but since the manufacturing happened over there,... they should be easier to find....

2 12AX7s, 2 EL84s,.. a vintage 10" Celestion,...... VERY nice sound,... and versatile as well,..... nice crunch,... beatiful tone,.... and plenty loud,....

MUCH MUCH nicer than any of those you have listed,.....

If you can find one that is in your budget,...... grab it,... you will not be disappointed,.....

Steve

mud said:
Ok, i bought me a guitar and im obviously gonna end up lookin for an amp, if not for jammin, for giggin or in the studio.

Was reading one of the threads on a 30watter....tbh i dont want anything too beastly and i would prefer something that i can lug about easily if needs be.

So the main criteria is this...

Sounds good live or in studio.
Sounds just as good at low vol as it does at topend.
Doesn't torch a hole out of my pocket and burn my nuts on the way past.

As for a price guide, if i could get one under £75 i'd be shocked, £100 id be happy, £150 means i need to wait a couple of weeks longer.

So the challenge is yours, dare you accept it????

Since not one person asked you this....... :D

What kind of music do you play?
Clean/country/blues/blues rock/rock/hard rock/metal/nu metal/everything

I love the 15W Valvetronix Vox. I bought it as soon as I heard it and use it all the time for recording. Ridiculous bang for the buck IMHO. I remember when I started playing (mid 80s) that a Peavey with no reverb cost that much....and completely sucked. Unbelievable what can be cranked out of the factories in Asia nowadays - guitarwise and ampwise.

Back