Possibly dumb question

capnreverb

Someone asked me to record his band at a club while they play live. The only issue I have is recording the vocals. If there is only one vocal mic and its going to the house PA, what are my options in getting that vocal. He can't sing into two mics. Is there a 2/1 box cheaply available? Do most club PA boards have the option of a direct line out for just one track/line? What would you do. Thanks a ton.

it all depends on the mixer. Most will have direct outs on each channel, or atleast some subgroups you could send to. if worst comes to worst, you can tap the insert on the mixer, or even build a 2/1 mic box with a few opamps.

Yeah, I would think that the soundguy would have at least 1 aux send he could use to send you a feed. In situations like this the best thing to do is always to get in touch with the person who is actually doing sound and arrange things beforehand. It's always a headache to just show up and hope everything will work out.

Plus some of them soundguys can be pretty touchy about messing with their setup. They may resent you being there. But I am certain that if you contact them, they'd be happy to help you set up your gear as long as it doesn'y impede....

Back