possibly a stupid question...

shadowfax

hey. i just got my comp back after having it upgraded.. normally i do the upgrades myself but this was kind of a big job and the guy only added 30 canadian to the price for labor, so i figured i'd let him do it since i didnt have much experience with these kinds of upgrades.

I got a new case, mobo, ram and chip. The mobo was an ECS K7S5A, and the processor was an AMD XP 1700 266mhz OEM. i also got 256MB of syncmax ddr.

now.. when i boot up my comp, the first screen after my video card's info says that the chip is AMD 1100... is this just a stupid clerical error? or did i perhaps get ripped off? is there another way to check the CPU speed? i poked around CMOS to see if i could find anything but when i looked in the chip settings section, all i came across was something which confused me further; it said that the cpu frequency (or something.. i forget what exactly) was at 100/100. isnt it supposed to be running at 133 cuz of the ddr?

anyhow, i figured i'd ask before i ran back into the store demanding my money back and possibly turning out to be a clueless ass. Thanks for your help!

arg getting the fan off is such a pain :P

i'll do it tomorrow after i pick up my delta1010LT from the post office... (ironically, i missed the delivery because i was bringing home my upgraded computer.)

is it possible, though, that the cpu speed showing when i boot up is wrong?

You've got your bus speed set wrong I'm guessing.

The XP 1700 is a 1.47Ghz, right? I think so. It wants a 133Mhz FSB which means that the multipler is 1470 / 133 = ~11

If you set the bus speed to 100Mhz, then your processor will run at 100 * 11 = 1100Mhz, which is what you're seeing.

Slackmaster 2000

Change the frequency setting like Slack reccomended. If you are adventurous you can try pushing it a little farther.

I just got a new XP system myself and it seems like there is no multiplier setting only speed. Is this standard for the new XP mobos?

Note, if you set your bus speed to anything but 100 or 133, you will be overclocking both PCI and AGP. In the extreme this could cause damage to devices.

Overclocking AMD chips used to be possible by connecting a few pins on the CPU with a graphite pencil, thus allowing you to leave the bus speed alone and overclock by changing the multiplier. I'm not sure if this is possible on XP CPU's however. I have a Duron 750/100 at 866/133 using this method (and bumping the bus speed to 133 of course).

Slackmaster 2000

That exact same error was one of dozens of (simultanious) errors I got when I tried to upgrade to that exact same motherboard. Do a search, I posted several long items about my (attempted) Upgrade From Hell. After two otherboards and one smoked hard drive I concluded that motherboard was a piece of shit, and gave up.

I realize a lot of people are using that motherboard successfully, but I sure couldn't make the sucker work.

yikes! that's ominous news... thus far the board seems to be working perfectly well, though. no problems other than the one i just posted. i'll try upping the bus speed.

"Possibly a stupid question"

Possibly the only stupid question is the question not asked, grasshoppah...

Back