Possibly a stupid question (don't laugh at me)...

32-20-Blues

Like the title says, this might be a stupid question. However, I was wondering what people would think about using a toy 'echo mic' to add a cheap, strange reverb to a recording.

Obviously, I'm not expecting quality results. I figure, though, that if you grab a bunch of those and arrange them around a microphone you should get some discernible effect.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 171
As in love and war, all things are fair and usable. If it sounds right in a particular setting, go for it.

For an effect, anything goes. I'd try one or two before I go out and get 10 or 15, just to test the concept.

Awesome

I have that exact same toy, and yes, you can record with it. I don't think it was terribly noticeable as an echo, because it just shoots all of the sound back at your face. Similar to singing into a coffee can or something. However, as I recall, it makes a cool springy sound when you slam it down in the air and stop, air-drum style. This is definitely making me think about surgically implanting a contact transducer into that thing. That could be interesting.

I have that exact same toy, and yes, you can record with it. I don't think it was terribly noticeable as an echo, because it just shoots all of the sound back at your face. Similar to singing into a coffee can or something. However, as I recall, it makes a cool springy sound when you slam it down in the air and stop, air-drum style. This is definitely making me think about surgically implanting a contact transducer into that thing. That could be interesting.

Yep, when you move it when singing into it, it makes a metallic clanking sound. The contact transducer is a cool idea - there's a very thin plastic membrane in the narrow end of the mic that would be easy to modify. Thanks for the idea.

Like the title says, this might be a stupid question. However, I was wondering what people would think about using a toy 'echo mic' to add a cheap, strange reverb to a recording.

Obviously, I'm not expecting quality results. I figure, though, that if you grab a bunch of those and arrange them around a microphone you should get some discernible effect.

I just saw an episode of "Classic Albums" where they were saying Jimi Hendrix would use anything (Kazoo on "Crosstown Traffic") on a recording that would give him the sound he wanted.

I say go for it.

sure, why not? You could even take impulse responses of them and use a convolution reverb to effect the sound.

There's no wrong answer for anything, use whatever you want, dildos, garbage cans, basketballs... I knew a guy who used a sample of him punching a large cardboard box for a kick drum and a sample of him slamming his hand down on a filing cabinet for the snare. Go for it, and if you do impulse responses...give em to me! lol

In reality those things are like 6'' thick.

Hey...there's some people that might find that a feature rather than a deterrent. My buddy catered for a "sex expo" and he mentioned that there were for sale a string of anal beads...that were about the size of tennis balls, and by the end of the event, someone had bought them.

A man after my own heart. :D

I reckon one alone would be barely noticable, but I'm not sure.

As a result of a google search, I found a guy who uses them when playing the pennywhistle to get what he claims is a good reverb effect.

Edit: Here's the link - http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/echo.htm (The mp3 he has sounds interesting).

well I mean, aren't they pretty much just a spring anyway? SO it's pretty much a really cheap spring reverb.

Back