Possible??

Matt_Gill

Hey, ive got a 18W all tube head and i would like a 6x10 to go wih it, purley to get difrent sound, signiture if you like. Only ive been looking at 10" speakers and the lowest wattage i can find is 25, and 6 of them would end on being 150W! wich would be far to much for a 18w Amp (evan if it is all tube) is there anyway of getting rid of some of thoes watts?

Thanks

I don't think it matters if you underpower speakers. It's when you over power them when you should be woeing.

Though I could be wrong.

Dwarf is right, it won't be "too much" for the amp - it's just overkill on the power handling capabilities of the speakers.

But why 6 X 10? Why not just one, or two?

why drive a 6 x 10 with an 18 watt... thats definately overkill.. if you want to do something crazy why not drive 16 4" long throw speakers or something..?

what is the purpose of your project?

Well is a long story realy, i dont want the standart 4x12, i want to do somethink a little diffrent, i quite like the sound of a 10" speaker, and want more than one or 2 of then in a cab, 4x10's have been done, 6x10's :rolleyes: , or i might do 1-15" and 2-10's in a cab, I jsut try out some new things, insted of doing the same old boring thing as every other guitar player

Non-Conformity isn't as glam as it's cracked up to be. You wanna try something different? Ditch your pedals and make your own. Then learn to play in a multitude of styles. Metallica and Creed is still Metallica and Creed whether it's through 4x10s or 1x15 and 2X10s :p

If you are merely going for a "look", tape a pie pan, 2 wooden spoons, and a turkey neck to your amp and be done with it.

Thats not quite what i mean, theres a cirtain sound thats goes with a 4x12, oh dont worry, you oviousley dont understand what i mean, i jsut want to try out some new things.

Friend of mine built a cab for his bass with fourteen, six inch speakers, and another cab with two eighteens. It was pretty fly.

Back in the day I built a cab with three, eights to add to a 60 watt combo I had, it was pretty cool too.

Matt_Gill said:
Ha ha, sorry if i ofended you! Wow 14-6" speakers!! thats what im talking about, diffrent :cool:

You couldn't offend me if you tried. ;)

I still think a pie pan, two wooden spoons and a turkey neck would be pretty darn different.

Zaphod B said:
Dwarf is right, it won't be "too much" for the amp - it's just overkill on the power handling capabilities of the speakers.

But why 6 X 10? Why not just one, or two?

I think you may both be wrong on this. the issue is not "too much for the amp". its the opposite. not enough for your speakers.

I think you always want to match or go over your speaker rating. slightly overpowering your speakers.

Other wise you may push that 18watt amp into clip mode and fry all your speakers, and possible your amp.

i dont think it will work very well. JMO

So what speaker config would work if that was the case? What with it being tube, ide want about 40w? I like 10" and 15" speakers best.

metalj said:
I think you may both be wrong on this. the issue is not "too much for the amp". its the opposite. not enough for your speakers.

I think you always want to match or go over your speaker rating. slightly overpowering your speakers.

Other wise you may push that 18watt amp into clip mode and fry all your speakers, and possible your amp.

???????

You won't cause the amp to clip unless you overdrive the amp. The speakers' impedance has everything to do with how an amp clips, and the power rating very litte. If it's a tube amp it won't hurt it at any rate, it will just cause the tubes to age more quickly. (And that's what you do to get distortion, remember?) At any rate, sending a distorted signal from an amplifier is not what hurts speakers, it is introducing a DC component.

Seriously. You will not harm a small-wattage amp by driving a high-power-rated speaker. At worst you may not get the speakers into their recommended operating zone (because of stiffer suspensions), but that becomes an issue of sound quality. Speakers that have high power-handling capability usually get that capability by having voice coils that are capable of dissipating a lot of heat. That doesn't mean that they place any additional load on an amplifier.

metalj said:

That must be why Marshall sells 100 watt heads with 280 watt cabs....soy ou don't over power the cab. :rolleyes: :confused:

...exactly. I way underpower my speakers all the time. I have 5 watts going into a 100 watt Marshall 1960ax cab at the moment.
I would call that every bit as under powered as 18watts into a 150 watt cab.

The proplem is most amps are not gonna be set up for 6 speakers. Get them wired properly for the Ohms will be tricky....you will have a slightly off number. Not that its bad as long as you se the amp for a lower number than the speakers equal out to.

Back