Possible purchase tomorrow...

ermghoti

Well, my computer is here, my Multiface is here, I am exploring ADAT options to get the full 18-at-once capability started up.

1: Onyx 800r. 8x supposedly decent pres, ADAT on-board. Would these be pres I will keep, or will I be trying to upgrade immediately? Also keep in mind, I don't have good pres, I use a Spirit Folio SX for everything.

2: M-Audio Octane. Similar to above, but cheaper and crappier. I would assume I would definately get rid of it in about a year or so, to hold me over until I have the funds for...

3. Focusrite ISA 428 w/ADAT. Pres well-regarded, ADAT option would allow the use of 4 additional outboard channels.

Which are better converters, Multiface, or ISA? Would I be happy using the Onyx for "leftover" inputs, if I had a ISA and, say, a couple channels each of Sebatron, Hardy, GR, Portico, DAV, API, etc?

I record bands live or "live in studio" almost exclusively, hence the need for lots of channels quick, rather than building a collection of good pres gradually.

Basically, I have a band who wants to start next weekend, and I could swing the Onyx if it is a decent choice.

For live in studio...

The onyx preamps will be just fine - they are a big improvement over most of the previous Mackie preamps (much more open and clear), and for "live in studio", they're probably just the ticket given your post.

just my .02
Jay

Onyx sounds pretty dam(n) good. Albeit not the best but good. If you want to know how the tracks stack, I am providing a link to an mp3 of a track I did that was mostly live. (violins overdubed) The Onyx 16 preamp board was used direct out to an ADAT 24HD mixed ITB in Pro Tools LE 7.0 with Smack, Bombfactory compressors, Pultec bundle and Digidesign EQ, and D-Verb Reverb. 9 Tracks total in the mix not including reverb buses.

This is the 160kbps MP3 file.

The Octane will surprise you. It's a decent sounding pre despite the price. It might be your "gold channel" pre's but for a bunch of extra inputs it's more than adequate. If you can't get good results with the Octane, higher end pre's won't help you either.

I have an Onyx 800R. no complaints. I'm loving these pres for lots of things. I have the upgrade path in mind too. I doubt I will be selling this one off anytime soon. The converters are better than my MOTU. I'd guess on par or better than the fireface. The DI channels are good. It has a MS decoder (haven't gotten around to playing with that one yet) Mainly I'm using this preamp for tom mics, kick and snare. I'd like to have something better for snare, but I am really pleased with the kick and tom sounds I am getting. For the money this thing is great.

Juggernaut said:
Onyx sounds pretty dam(n) good. Albeit not the best but good. If you want to know how the tracks stack, I am providing a link to an mp3 of a track I did that was mostly live. (violins overdubed) The Onyx 16 preamp board was used direct out to an ADAT 24HD mixed ITB in Pro Tools LE 7.0 with Smack, Bombfactory compressors, Pultec bundle and Digidesign EQ, and D-Verb Reverb. 9 Tracks total in the mix not including reverb buses.

This is the 160kbps MP3 file.

That is nice, I have sworn the violins were samples, not home-brewed.

Enjoy: https://youtube.com/watch?v=k4qdX6_9XgI :D

Particularly at the first instance of strings, and in the pre-chorus/bridgey bit a minute or so in, where there were a few layers. They sat together very smoothly, like they were recorded simultaneously in a good room.

The first set of strings (before any vox) there was origionally only cello, even after overdubs, but I coppied the two violins from another section of the song. And in the end where the violin comes in alone and the cello follows, the violin, again was coppied from another part of the song. Other than that everything was really recorded as is.

:o sorry for hijacking :o

Consider it a bump :D

BTW, somebody secretly reminded me about the Digimax. I don't know that I care that much about the compressor/limiters, but how do the pres stack up?

BTW, I, obviously, have put off purchasing anything for a couple days. Still shopping.

u may consider the digimax LT, no compressors, decent pres and converters for around 700 bucks. limited to 48 k sampling which is quite sufficient for most audio. eight channels with ADAT lightpipe. Can use line in if you already have a great pre and use as A/D converter. Ive recorded violin, viola, and vocals with good results for the price.

Back