Possible New Poll Question – Your input please.

JohnnyMan

Although I would not consider myself a big fan of poll threads, I have been reading many threads here where the question is posed:

“Which single mic would you recommend?” or

What’s the best mic for a newbie? or

What’s the best mic for under $800? …Etc.

So I am gathering info before I create a poll thread. The thread topic is:

One Mic To Rule Them All

And the question is

“If you could have or keep just one mic., what would it be?”

So far I have come to the conclusion that the pole should probably contain:

Shure KMS 44
AT 4040
Neumann TLM-103
EV RE20

I would like to have between 8 to 10 mics to choose from for the poll. And I was wondering, maybe I should put dollar limit on the mics, how does $1000 sound?

So what do you suggest should be on the list for the pole?

Yeah I think you would want to go 4050 over 4040. Also need Senn MD441, Blue Baby Bottle or Dragonfly, maybe that expensive SP one. I'd try to keep it to one or at most two per manufacturer.

So far we have:

Shure KMS 44

AT 4047
AT 4050

Neumann TLM-103

ElectroVoice RE20

Blue Baby Bottle
Blue Dragonfly

Sennheiser MD441

Studio Projects T3?

Should the CAD M179 be here?

Yay!!! I've beaten Massive to it.......M-Audio Solaris!!!!!!

Well...if we're trying to keep to 1 or 2 per manufacturer, then the above mentioned mic, and maybe an SM81 for the Shure list... I haven't found ANYTHING that didn't sound at least reasonably good through my 81's.

Since you have the TLM-103 in your list, you should add the Gefell M930 (even a bit cheaper, but a notch better IMHO)

Only one mic? For everything?

Easy. SM57, for all the same reasons it should be the first mic anyone ever gets.

for cheap value for money i would say cad gxl for 50 bucks. more expensive cad m179. all rounder a beyer mic. i'm a beyer fan.

manning1 said:
for cheap value for money i would say cad gxl for 50 bucks. more expensive cad m179. all rounder a beyer mic. i'm a beyer fan.

Which Beyer would like to include?

I’m not married to the idea of only one or two mics from each manufacturer but we could try to have most manufacturers represented.

We could also have a poll for “Best-bang-for-the-buck mic” from each manufacturer.

So far for the "One Mic To Rule Them All" poll:

Audio Technica
AT 4047
AT 4050

Behringer
B1

Blue

Baby Bottle
Dragonfly

CAD
M179

ElectroVoice