Possible Latency Problem with Cubase LE 4

Jmoog

I have started to use Cubase LE 4 and I installed the G-Force "M-Tron" mellotron software emulator to use with Cubase.

The problem I am having is that there is a very slight delay in the sound of the melltron program when played through Cubase. When I push keys down on my MIDI controller there is a slight delay in the sounding of the patches. I am running the programs on a laptop but I have a fast processor and 4 GB's of RAM so I don't think it is a hardware problem. I don't know much about digital recording yet but this delay would be classified as a "latency" problem correct?

If this makes any difference the mellotron program can be run as a "stand alone" program as well and when I run it like that there is no delay present but when I turn the "pitch" control on the MIDI controller the program goes crazy and crashes. This does not happen when I open it in Cubase.

There is, of course, a "latency" section of Cubase and using the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver (the only one I can use with the M-Tron program) my input latency is listed as 325.079 and my output latency is listed as 65.714. There is also a box checked for "Adjust For Record Latency" and it is set at "0 Samples". Are these numbers indicative of a latency problem using a MIDI controller?

As I said the delay is slight but it is severe enough to totally ruin any fast or medium tempo passages I play using the M-Tron program. I don't have any other software keyboard programs to compare the M-Tron with to see if I have the same latency problems using other programs.

Any help I can get will be really appreciated. I need to get this M-Tron program working in real time.

... Are these numbers indicative of a latency problem using a MIDI controller?...

I would try messing with those numbers, that seems like it would adjust exactly what you're talking about.

You can't hurt anything, and you can always put it back to where it was.

I would try messing with those numbers, that seems like it would adjust exactly what you're talking about.

You can't hurt anything, and you can always put it back to where it was.

I wish I could but the numbers are non-adjustable. I am assuming that these numbers are dictated by the driver.

Back