Porysics, anyone ?

saads

Baka
Hey peepz, this is a song called You you you by the Polysics. All feedback is, as usual, greatly appreciated. I can't sing, and I hardly speak any Japanese (the song is Japanese), so if you find yourself wondering what the hell's going on, now you know :D

Attachments

• You you you 1.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 12
imo the vocal wants to be a little more upfont (taking the guitar back a bit in the process) i'm not mad on the snare sound. Did you record the drums via midi? the low end sounds a bit muddy too_Overall its getting there to my ears . I liked it

Thanks for listening kip. Ah, the snare again. I've always had problems with my snare. I honestly think it sounds good live but recording it is a whole different story. I will pick Greg's brain a little more and try to see how I can make it sound better :D The drums aren't midi, they're live. I'll give it another listen and try to see whats going on in the low end. Thanks again.

I think the snare is fine but the bass drum could use a little pump - it's clear in the outro but not so through out the song.
You've obviously buried the vox because of the singing/foreign language thing but I don't mind the general level - you could even it out a bit more though as it changes a bit particularly toewards the end of phrases - which is a breathing issue.
Nice to hear some Jap Rock - a much under listened genre. Julian Cope's Headspace has an excellent Jap Rock sampler.

I didn't want to make the vocals the center of attention. There's so much going on in the song at any given time, (lots of different synths, weird vocal modifiers, etc ) I didn't want the other stuff in the background somewhere, I wanted it right up there with the vocals. As long as the vocals don't seem too buried I'm fine with them. Juice up the kick, got it. I'm not sure I understand the breathing issue thing; do the vocals get louder or quieter near the end of the verses ?
Yeah Jap rock is most definitely not everyone's cup of tea. It takes some serious getting used to. Nonetheless, I can't stop listening to it :D
Thanks for listening ray, appreciate it. :drunk:

Quieter as the phrase finsihes.
Enjoyed the recording - do more! & do your own too.

Yeah the drums sound really small and thin. It's hard to tell, but are you getting a lot of bleed in the snare track? It sounds like the hats are coming from the middle and the ride sounds kind of phasey. That usually means too much cymbal in the snare mic, but I don't know what you got going on here. If you're compressing the overheads, maybe turn it off. Really, when the drums are by themselves they don't sound too bad, so just drop everything else down some and let the drums pound through. That's the first thing I'd do to fix this. The snare also seems really compressed. If you're compressing it hard, back off a little or tweak it to let the body come out. Same with the kick. Toms sound pretty good. Guitars and synths seem fine. Bass is okay, could maybe use more definition. The vocals are kind of a trainwreck with all the effects and double-tracking, but whatever. It's Japanese. The performances could be tighter too. Not too bad overall though. Just some minor fixes and this thing will be jap-a-rockin.

I like all the playing. I like the energy and I like the song.

Not much power in the drums. They sound kind of tin-ny. I liked the drummer's style though.

I can't hear much from the bass. I think it could come up a good 4-5 dbs or so.

I liked the tone on the guitars. I liked the keyboard sound too.

A little pitch problem at around 1:56.

Very staccato - quite 80's sounding. I like it. The vocals do trail off a bit. Overall a punchy rocking tune. Love the synth , again very 80's in my mind. I can't comment on drums as I am a guitar player and know little to nothing about mixing them. Poeticintensity just sends me his drums in stereo.....

Yeah the drums sound really small and thin. It's hard to tell, but are you getting a lot of bleed in the snare track? It sounds like the hats are coming from the middle and the ride sounds kind of phasey. That usually means too much cymbal in the snare mic, but I don't know what you got going on here. If you're compressing the overheads, maybe turn it off.

I thought I had the bleeding in snare mic issue solved, but I'll take a look at that. I don't compress the OHs anymore, but I did put some light compression on the drum bus. Light meaning around 2 dB gain reduction. I guess that may be too much? Will take it off and see if it sounds better. The vocals I'm not even going to get into haha, I'll just try to get them in tune as much as I can :)
Thanks for all your help Greg. Greatly appreciated, as always!

I like all the playing. I like the energy and I like the song.

Not much power in the drums. They sound kind of tin-ny. I liked the drummer's style though.

My main focus is the drums on every song, since I like to think that's what I do best-ish. I'm not much of a guitarist, keyboard play, or singer, so doing everything in a song is always tough for me. Maybe the drums are overcompressed, I will look into that. Thanks for listening!

Very staccato - quite 80's sounding. I like it. The vocals do trail off a bit. Overall a punchy rocking tune. Love the synth , again very 80's in my mind. I can't comment on drums as I am a guitar player and know little to nothing about mixing them. Poeticintensity just sends me his drums in stereo.....

Thanks for the feedback! I am glad you liked it :) The drums are letting me down on this one, I'll have to take a look at them again.

Back