Portishead cover

timthetortoise

MADE OF SANDALWOOD
Welp, my band decided to do a cover of Roads by Portishead. I don't know the legality of simply putting it on Myspace, but copyright laws be damned! It's a good song! Any thoughts on the mix would be greatly appreciated (sorry I don't have anything better than a Myspace link right now, just got back from recording this and am tired as all hell).
It's at http://www.myspace.com/sundrone. Song name is, not surprisingly, "Roads Portishead cover." Ear fatigue was setting in hard tonight, so I'll predict that it's probably a bit bass heavy. Other than that I have no clue. But any feedback would help me a ton. Thanks :D

Don't be like that.

Sounds pretty dang good to me. I don't know this Portishead band...I've heard of em...but don't know any of their stuff.

Drums seem to be a bit out front.

Sounds good, the main keyboard got a liitle wearing after a while, would be my only comment, but you guys are obviously a talented group and have done a good job on this song. It certainly has that Portishead atmosphere about it.

Hurroh Tim,
I love Dummy and don't mind the stuff since.
Your cover isn't half bad though, in camparison, there's not quite enough "air" and the texture is more "gritty" than "grainy".
If you hadn't mentioned Portishead I'd have said FABULOUS track but with the name comes the comaprison.
The sound & texture are more Flamin' Lips - but that's a very good thing anyway.
Take the structure/arrangement/instruments/sounds and add your own music to it.

Back