Portastudio/4 tracks cassette tips & tricks

Dreverb

Hello all.
I'd love to know some tricks you may have learned or discover for using portastudios.
I currently have a Tascam 244 and a Akai Mg614, and I am quite happy with them.

I know some people like to record takes pushing a little the eq on the high side to prevent a later base or muddy mix.

Other things I've been doing is, having a two channel daw interface is to use the computer as a preamp, with effects and use, either the headphone or main outs to record on the portastudio, also monitoring from it. This way you can record a clean take on the computer, maybe for backup, and use some comp, delay or reverb plugins directly into the tape.

Only thing is , please,be very careful if you use the main balanced outs into your portastudio unbalanced inputs. You could fry the preamps and ruin a beautiful machine. So have a look at the meters and don't let them go too much into the red, just a little.

Also if your interface can deliver different mixes for the headphones, you could transfer a four tracks session from the computer to the portastudio, using the 2 main outs and splitting in mono the stereo headphone out. I am doing this with an Audient id22 and it is great.

Hope it helps somebody and would love to know some other tricks.

The pseudo 12 string trick is cool. It's been a while since I watched it.
If I remember correctly, he would record a guitar part on one track and then double that part on another track at a slightly different speed using the pitch control. Upon playback, you would get this cool chorusy sound.

Back