Portable Studio

M'appy

So I travel alot. I love to live out of a backpack And I'm also a singer/song-writer/composer aspiring to finally lay down some quality recordings. My plan is to make these two things co-exist.
I literally want to carry a studio around the world in my backpack, capturing quality music along the way.
Everything I do is primarily acoustic: Guitars, strings, lots of singing and voices,drums and brass too.
So here's what I'm working with so far:

MXL 2003 LDC (slightly modded)
MXL 603s SDC (slightly modded)
<considering getting an sm57 too>
Macbook Pro
M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface
Obviously cable and stand

Any thoughts? Ideas? Advice? Should I be using a better preamp?

I think you have the required equipments for your portable studio. I would recommend bringing an extra external hard drive for your backup. Also regarding pre-amp I find Saffire USB 6 pre-amps more suitable for singer songwriter work, though if you already have M-audo Fast track pro; its acceptable.

A really clever carrying case.

Hauling all that stuff loose in a backpack sounds like a giant pain in the neck. The more you can strap things down so that when time comes to record you just need to set up a stand and plug one or two things in, the better.

A really clever carrying case.

Hauling all that stuff loose in a backpack sounds like a giant pain in the neck. The more you can strap things down so that when time comes to record you just need to set up a stand and plug one or two things in, the better.

DEFINITELY. That's what I'm currently looking into. What would be really nice is a bag I can fit the mics, audio interface, AND laptop. Or some kind of protective case maybe.. No luck yet though..

modify a rack mount case maybe?
would`nt exactly be a back pack, but more of a suit case i guess you could say..

I assume you are traveling with headphones as well? Are you also mixing with headphones?

I've been traveling with a Zoom R16 and play with the mixes on headphones but eventually I take it home and upload to the DAW with decent monitors.

Depends on how many simultaneous inputs you need. If you can get by with 4- here's what I use-

Zoom H4n
SONY ECM-MS957 (better than the onboard mics)
Sennheiser HD280

This setup can be easily expanded, depending on how much you want to carry. For more serious field recording, I add a stand, a stereo mic bar, and a pair of AKG C2000B's, with the cables. You can use the H4n as a standalone, and download to a laptop, or as a controller for a laptop for a total of 16 tracks.

This setup is very small, very light, runs on batteries, gets the job done, and can be configured in a variety of ways.-Richie

I second the H4N recommendation. I used to use a boss br600 and later bought the zoom and am very happy. The BR is a good device and its better for songwriting - it has a drum machine, tons of effects, lots of options. You can basically record an album ITB . The H4N is better for field recording - it can supply phantom power.

Zoom R16 or Zoom H4N.
Excellent brand.

Well, no. Zoom, a subsidiary of Samson, has built some real crud over the years, in the league of Behringer. The H4n's predecessor, the H4, for instance, was a useless piece of junk. The H4n, R16, and R24, so far, have been pleasant exceptions to that pattern. My H4n has repeatedly proven itself to be a very effective unit, and has been blessedly trouble-free (fingers crossed).-Richie

And my Zoom R16 has finally replaced the Echo Mona.
I never thought I'd do that but it's a very impressive piece of gear.
The R24, if I remember correctly, is only 16 bit and for that reason alone is not on my list.
Other than that, it's a marvelous machine.

I second the H4N recommendation.

I love my H4n for the purpose OP wants, but I have to say the preamps on this thing are pretty noisy and you better get some decent rechargable batteries if you are backpacking unless you have a separate backpack full of money. Other than that, with a good microphone it is probably your best solution. I would try not using condenser mics as the 48v phantom power feature eats batteries like fresh salmon.

I love my H4n for the purpose OP wants, but I have to say the preamps on this thing are pretty noisy and you better get some decent rechargable batteries if you are backpacking unless you have a separate backpack full of money. Other than that, with a good microphone it is probably your best solution. I would try not using condenser mics as the 48v phantom power feature eats batteries like fresh salmon.

I use it with 2 C2000B's, which run fine on 24V phantom (they're rated for 16V or greater). With a pair of Ultimate lithiums, I'll use up a 16 gig card before I run out of juice. At home, I just plug it into the wall (wart).

Gotta chime in with my vote for the H4n.
It's made me lots of money on the professional level recording every thing from live bands to government meetings.
The H4n has proven it's self time and time again. It is irreplaceable for me now and the foreseeable future.

Just believe us all when we say that this is the unit in which you seek for your portable studio! ;)

Back