Portable rec rig - what mics (on a budget)

machineghost

I have been posting questions about some mics but I want to sum it up here.

I want to build (or I am busy already) a portable recording rig for choirs and other acoustic performances.

Got this:
Steinberg MI4 (+ laptop)

Need a pair of multi-pattern mics to do a Blumlein setup.

Mics in the lineup incl:

MXL 4000 (***)
Beringer B-2
Studio Projects B-3 (*)
ART M Three (**)
Audio Technica AT2050 (****)

My gut feeling is to go with the AT mics but the MXL looks so GOOOD and the wooden case does it for me.... but I need to look past cosmetics and go for sonics.

Your experience and advice on the mic list above will be much valued.

Any other recommendations will be appreciated.

I don't think that laptops are that portable. But that's just me. At a minimum the boot and shutdown times tend to get awkward if someone is waiting on YOU to accomplish those tasks. A field recorder if you only need two channels is the way to go IMO. Plus that interface seems to be discontinued with a long list of driver issues. Which I guess is okay if you're doing it just to be nice. But if you are expecting to get paid, results cannot be optional. And the facility might be rented by the hour so getting everyone out the door quickly after the event is sometimes a bit forced. And that includes the guy with all the recording gear.

Blumlein is a very specific setup. 2x figure of 8 mics. Offset 90 degrees with the mic elements as close as possible. Complete with a special stereo bar, or just use two mic clamps. You get the audience perspective in that mix so not for all occasions.

Of that list the AT is probably the better mic. But there's some Rodes that might suit and others. Depending on the budget which doesn't seem very high at this point. And you might not even like that setup.

Ive got an AKG perception, its allright. i think it gives a little harsh sound tho, whereas i think the AT is more warm and clean

I don't think that laptops are that portable. But that's just me. At a minimum the boot and shutdown times tend to get awkward if someone is waiting on YOU to accomplish those tasks. A field recorder if you only need two channels is the way to go IMO. Plus that interface seems to be discontinued with a long list of driver issues. Which I guess is okay if you're doing it just to be nice. But if you are expecting to get paid, results cannot be optional. And the facility might be rented by the hour so getting everyone out the door quickly after the event is sometimes a bit forced. And that includes the guy with all the recording gear.

Blumlein is a very specific setup. 2x figure of 8 mics. Offset 90 degrees with the mic elements as close as possible. Complete with a special stereo bar, or just use two mic clamps. You get the audience perspective in that mix so not for all occasions.

Of that list the AT is probably the better mic. But there's some Rodes that might suit and others. Depending on the budget which doesn't seem very high at this point. And you might not even like that setup.

Shadow

Yes - a laptop is not ideal as well as the MI4... but thats what I got and I have to use.

Working with a non-existent budget you see... I am self-employed and times are tough.

So yeah... I am attempting the impossible I guess...

If you have an attic full of stuff, put it all on craigslist or ebay. That's what paid for most of my gear. All that stuff in self storage? It's in storage, you're not using it, so sell it. It'll only make it easier when you have to immigrate to China for your next job.

Just saying you have something, it's worth something to someone else. Donate blood for money. Fertility clinic. 2nd and 3rd jobs. Lots of ways to get something other than just liviing with what you have. If it's a one time gig, rent. 1/10th the costs and you don't have to find a place to store it.

Zoom H2 or even Zoom H1 ($100-ish). You probably pay more per month in auto insurance. Or property taxes.

If you have an attic full of stuff, put it all on craigslist or ebay. That's what paid for most of my gear. All that stuff in self storage? It's in storage, you're not using it, so sell it. It'll only make it easier when you have to immigrate to China for your next job.

Just saying you have something, it's worth something to someone else. Donate blood for money. Fertility clinic. 2nd and 3rd jobs. Lots of ways to get something other than just liviing with what you have. If it's a one time gig, rent. 1/10th the costs and you don't have to find a place to store it.

Zoom H2 or even Zoom H1 ($100-ish). You probably pay more per month in auto insurance. Or property taxes.

Shadow, if I may...

I live in a tiny town in the upper part of South Africa. We dont have CL or e-Bay. In S Africa we dont get paid to donate blood. I have never seen a fertility clinic in my life nor am I fond of the idea of my spawn running around the country...

Rental is not an option.

What is Zoom?

I appreciate your sentiments but my situation is fundamentally different from an average guy in Europe or the States.

I used to be involved at one of the top 10 studios in the world but sadly the place has shut down and I had to leave. If I was still there then I would not have been asking these questions.

I appreciate your sentiments but my situation is fundamentally different from an average guy in Europe or the States.

Well we're not too far behind you. Give it ten years and you'll be an economic super power in comparison. Samson is the brand. Zoom is the model name. H1 is the model number. Google is your friend. Your situation can't be too different. You have at least internet and electricity. And I'm assuming an ipod or cd player to boot. About the closest thing to an iPod that I have is my field recorder.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2053

Well we're not too far behind you. Give it ten years and you'll be an economic super power in comparison. Samson is the brand. Zoom is the model name. H1 is the model number. Google is your friend. Your situation can't be too different. You have at least internet and electricity. And I'm assuming an ipod or cd player to boot. About the closest thing to an iPod that I have is my field recorder.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2053

I dont know if thats going to be a reality. At the rate this government of ours is fucking up this country we'll be dark Africa again in no time soon.

Yes we have internet but at a huge cost. I pay $35 for 1GB. Electricity is here but there is many power outages due to mis-management.

CD Player - how about a salvaged 20 year old Marantz. And I dont want an iPod even as a gift. I enjoy collecting vinyl records and appreciate ANALOGUE sound very much.

Look at this link
I used to be involed there - the place is screwed - the local govnt f-ed it nicely.

So you rate the ZOOMs SQ better than say a MXL 4000 microphone?

It depends on the back end. I'm not familiar with your interface. The preamps might be alright, or they might royally suck.

I've heard a zoom H4 compare nicely with it's built in mics to a higher end field recorder 3x's the cost with mics that were 6x's the costs (for a pair). It wasn't a fair fight as there was a clear winner, but the fact that a comparison could even be made is impressive. For the H1 at $100 USD and 1x AAA battery (or was it AA), what have you got to lose? But then again a micro SD card might jack the price a bit. Given that the H2 was developed after the H4, and the H1 after the H2, odds are good. An H4n between H2 and H1 as well. Lots of options depending on the budget.

I'm not a fan of most MXL mics, but I've never used any. The only samples I find decent are the MXL603 / 604 type mics. There are probably others, but I'm not really a fan of NOT made in my country stuff in these dark economic times. Especially with RoHS stuff and all of the lead laced toys and walmart bags we seem to have to quarantine these days from china. And since I'm in the USA, AT > MXL. Even if they both come from the same factory in another country. Which I doubt, but who knows these days.

Back